Wilke (post Pipeworks / Carole) -- has anyone tried it?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

pipehunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2016
The last of the Pipeworks & Wilke blends I ordered a few years ago are running low. I know Carole Burns retired a while ago and now the blends are being made/sold by John Brandt under the Wilke Tobacco marquee.
Has anyone tried the new incarnations? They are supposed to be blended from the same recipes, but I'm curious how close they are.
Thanks in advance!

pipehunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2016
Thanks. I recall reading some of those about a year ago, and they were very promising. I live jimjinks' reviews. Was curious if anyone else had tried them in the last year and see what they thought.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I think John's doing a better job than Carole did. John follows the recipes to the letter, something Carole did not always do. For the most part, I can't tell the difference between the two blenders, but a few I have noticed are a little richer in flavor than Carole's were, i.e. #515 and Rumcake. And, John has re-introduced several old blends that Carole never sold. Here's a link to my reviews of John's productions of the blends:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/jims-latest-wilke-reviews

nukesimi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 25, 2016
I bought three pounds of Churchill last week. Same as I remember from Carole. It's a great blend, give it a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.