PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I remember reading about this last spring, then promptly forgot about it.

I came across a mention of it the other day, and ordered some.

The 2 lbs. I ordered came in a mailing envelope, I could smell the roasted peanut scent five feet away from my front steps. I loaded up a cob fresh out of the bag. It smoked wonderfully. The peanut flavor dominates; there is a chocolate note on the finish. The taste pretty much continues through the bowl. I didn't notice the base burley, other than it probably contributed some nuttiness, and whatever virginia is in the blend is way down the scale as to what it contributes.

But nobody's buying this to savor any burley/virginia flavors...

This is a fun blend. Just sit back, relax, and enjoy. Doesn't need a lot of mental gymnastics. I'm somewhat reminded of the Drew Estate aromatics, notably Grand Central, while they're not the same, the flavor comes through.

The "tin" note, and the flavor while smoking works. The implementation of the concept of this blend knocks it out of the park...

I loaded up a James Upshall Dublin this evening because it had a larger chamber and smoked another bowl. I spent 2 hours sitting in the backyard smoking. I poured a couple drams of Evan Williams to sip with it. Wonderful stuff.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
sounds like that kind of blend I could certainly enjoy but not all the time. Like once or twice a week. But who knows every once and a while a blend you don't think you'll dig that much is just awesome and you can't get enough of it.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
After reading @jiminks reviews I ordered some of this and also some Vermont Maple and Rum and Maple from Wilke. John Brandt is a pleasure to deal with. Happened to be in the garage when the mail carrier brought this package and a couple of other misc. boxes up to the house late yesterday - she asked me if I'd ordered some special candy, lol, because the package smelled so good.

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
I remember reading about this last spring, then promptly forgot about it.

I came across a mention of it the other day, and ordered some.

The 2 lbs. I ordered came in a mailing envelope, I could smell the roasted peanut scent five feet away from my front steps. I loaded up a cob fresh out of the bag. It smoked wonderfully. The peanut flavor dominates; there is a chocolate note on the finish. The taste pretty much continues through the bowl. I didn't notice the base burley, other than it probably contributed some nuttiness, and whatever virginia is in the blend is way down the scale as to what it contributes.

But nobody's buying this to savor any burley/virginia flavors...

This is a fun blend. Just sit back, relax, and enjoy. Doesn't need a lot of mental gymnastics. I'm somewhat reminded of the Drew Estate aromatics, notably Grand Central, while they're not the same, the flavor comes through.

The "tin" note, and the flavor while smoking works. The implementation of the concept of this blend knocks it out of the park...

I loaded up a James Upshall Dublin this evening because it had a larger chamber and smoked another bowl. I spent 2 hours sitting in the backyard smoking. I poured a couple drams of Evan Williams to sip with it. Wonderful stuff.
I agree with what you said about it beings “fun” blend. I’m enjoying the sample @shanez generously gifted me.

Did you really buy 2lbs without having tasted it?

jerry

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 2, 2009
Western Massachusetts
Fortunately, I LOVE that aroma! Living in Massachusetts (John won't ship to a MA address) I had my order shipped to a friend in NJ who then mailed it to me. He, not a pipe smoker, kept remarking on how great it smelled! By the way ... if any of you bought too much of it, or bought some and didn't care for it, I'd be pleased to buy it from you.