PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
It used to be that these big flashy bands were kind of a red flag for me. Maybe I’m wrong, and maybe I was wrong back then, too, but I remember thinking of them as sort of a gimmick to get you to buy mediocre cigars, but it seems even a lot of highly esteemed cigars these days are using these bands that cover up a lot of real estate on the cigar. Not a big deal I guess, but I was just curious about it. Is this a recent thing?

I guess I’m a bigger fan of garters than chastity belts...

Akousticplyr

Lifer
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle
Hahah for a second I thought you were referring to this:

big_band_header.original.jpg

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Marketing hype. I think Fuente started this with the incredible hype and subsequent success they had with their Opus X line back in the late 90's. It even gets carried over to the boxes in many cases. Others learned from Fuente and followed suit. I find those large and in some cases, multiple bands, to be a PITA as they need to be removed in order to smoke the cigar all the way down. If you're not careful, you can damage the wrapper.

My understanding is in the old days, it was good practice to remove the band when in the company of other cigars smokers, prior to cutting and lighting the cigar. That prevented any of the "look what I'm smoking" mentality or showmanship and avoided embarrassing those smoking cheaper cigars. I generally do that for practical reasons. It's easier to remove all the bands when the cigar is still cold and isn't lit and makes it easier to avoid damaging the wrapper.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Marketing hype. I think Fuente started this with the incredible hype and subsequent success they had with their Opus X line back in the late 90's. It even gets carried over to the boxes in many cases. Others learned from Fuente and followed suit. I find those large and in some cases, multiple bands, to be a PITA as they need to be removed in order to smoke the cigar all the way down. If you're not careful, you can damage the wrapper.

My understanding is in the old days, it was good practice to remove the band when in the company of other cigars smokers, prior to cutting and lighting the cigar. That prevented any of the "look what I'm smoking" mentality or showmanship and avoided embarrassing those smoking cheaper cigars. I generally do that for practical reasons. It's easier to remove all the bands when the cigar is still cold and isn't lit and makes it easier to avoid damaging the wrapper.
I always figured they were meant to be removed. Like the tag on your mattress.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Like Acoustic', I thought we were talking about large musical aggregations. As long as the bands peel off easily, it seems okay. At these prices, I want my whole cigar to burn, well almost all, but not my fingers.

Reactions: Country Bladesmith
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I'm not sure why a cigar band would help decide what cigar to buy. That'd be like my wife, bless her soul, buying a wine because the label was "pretty."

Because the vast majority of higher end cigars are sold in small lots to wannabes who walk in the shop and want something to smoke while also impressing their friends. The cigar itself is almost irrelevant as long as it has the right brand name and a fancy label.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I'm not sure why a cigar band would help decide what cigar to buy. That'd be like my wife, bless her soul, buying a wine because the label was "pretty."
Just like people that buy wine based on the label, without knowing anything about what they’re purchasing. Happens all the time.
I find those large and in some cases, multiple bands, to be a PITA as they need to be removed in order to smoke the cigar all the way down. If you're not careful, you can damage the wrapper.
Yes! Exactly. That’s my biggest gripe. A small band is not much of a hindrance to smoking a cigar almost all the way down, but those big ones have to be removed. And if the person that put it on was sloppy with the pectin, or whatever they use as adhesive these days, you end up lifting a piece of wrapper. Most come off ok, but sometimes not.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I can be a sucker for marketing. Lord knows I've tried cigars partly because I liked the band or packaging or whatever. My Father La Duena comes to mind as one where the band really stuck out to me and got me interested. I don't think there is any correlation (positive or negative) between band size and quality. And ultimately,once the curiosity wears off, the cigar has to deliver.

One pet peeve of mine is excessive banding. Some cigars have a regular band, a secondary band, and a for band! No shit. Then they wrap the whole thing in cellophane.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I don't think it's the biggest deal in the world but I kind of wish that was still common practice. I just think there is something kind of classy and humble about the idea of NOT showing off in public.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I don't think it's the biggest deal in the world but I kind of wish that was still common practice. I just think there is something kind of classy and humble about the idea of NOT showing off in public.

I think it depends upon whether you're a poser a true lover of the leaf. The latter could care less, they just want to enjoy their tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.