Why The Burn Mark On Radice Faux Bamboo?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

geopiper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
I've noticed that on many of Radice's faux bamboo pipes, there is typically a purposeful burn mark placed on top of the shank near the "knuckle" nearest the stem. Radice Faux Bamboo Images

Is it to make clear it is faux bamboo and not real bamboo?

burleyboy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Europe
I didn't know faux bamboo was a thing. What material is it, and why don't they just use bamboo? Radicle seems like too up-market to use faux anything.

As I understand, "faux bamboo" refers to a technique of carving and dyeing a pipe's shank to make it look like bamboo - ergo the whole stummel is one piece of which the bowl has the typical briar looks whereas the shank looks like bamboo. I guess it makes a pipe more robust than real bamboo and is a good opportunity for a pipe maker to show off carving skills.

geopiper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
Thanks Canucklehead. I'm not trying to be too critical here, but some of these marks don't come close to emulating natural bamboo markings. Some of these marks seem out of place and even appear as a mistake by the carver. This, combined with the fact that the majority I've seen are directly on top of the shank, led me to believe they were an attempt to identify faux bamboo (in case someone confused it for real bamboo).

02Knight

Can't Leave
Aug 24, 2020
Rockett, Texas. South of DFW Metroplex
I have this DR Ardor Italy Fatta A Mano. It appears new and unsmoked, clean uncharred bowl with a Bamboo shank. The Bamboo looks burnt or charred, was this done on purpose? Someone mentioned that the shank was burnt and that made it less desirable. All 4 sides are charred or burnt similar. Thoughts?DSC02687.JPGDSC02688.JPGDSC02690.JPG

Reactions: SpookedPiper

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I’ve never owned one with bamboo. Is the crackling in the surface of the bamboo itself, or in some kind of varnish/shellac finish on the bamboo?

The crazing/crackling of the surface is the bamboo, not an applied coating.

Age seems to do it when it happens, but it doesn't always happen.

There are a gazillion sub-species of bamboo, so maybe some kinds do it and others don't? No idea. The overall look and feel is cool, though, in a patina sort of way, which is why some makers try to fake it a la pre-colored meerschaum and fumed rims.

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island
The crazing/crackling of the surface is the bamboo, not an applied coating.

Age seems to do it when it happens, but it doesn't always happen.

There are a gazillion sub-species of bamboo, so maybe some kinds do it and others don't? No idea. The overall look and feel is cool, though, in a patina sort of way, which is why some makers try to fake it a la pre-colored meerschaum and fumed rims.

That’s what fumed rims are about- imitation carbon? Same idea as pre-ripped jeans? I was never a fan but that rationale would never have occurred to me.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Why the bamboo anyway? Is it an aesthetic thing or does it actually serve a purpose for the smoking aspects?
I’m probably not the best person to answer since I’ve never owned one, but I have heard others say that it might have a slight drying/cooling effect on the smoke. I don’t know though. ?‍♂️

Reactions: 02Knight

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I’m probably not the best person to answer since I’ve never owned one, but I have heard others say that it might have a slight drying/cooling effect on the smoke. I don’t know though. ?‍♂️
Not sure if that’s the case, though I’ve heard this as well, I think it’s aesthetically pleasing though. Some people don’t like how they color but I certainly do.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I’ve also heard that they became a popular way to conserve wood when briar became scarce, using smaller pieces of wood (not having to carve the shank from the block). Again, I have no clue about the validity of the claim.

Reactions: 02Knight and BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.