PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
I’ve really only every had virgina type blends and enjoy them muchly! But always curious about what i haven’t tried. Just received the Non-Aromatic Burley Sampler set from Peretti with 4 blends. 111, 52, 33 and BPC. Starting with 111 just now. .. and don’t quite know what to make of it. It is...different. A0A66B06-A578-4B59-8E54-214C70695931.jpeg

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
I'm not very familiar with Peretti blends, so I can't speak to their quality or flavor, but I'm a big burley fan, and I want to try to answer your question objectively.

There are a few reason I can think of that pipe smokers should try burley-dominant blends.

First, the way burley is typically prepared (i.e. air-cured) means it is less acidic, less sugary, and typically higher in nicotine than many other kinds of tobaccos. The benefits of this are two-fold. First, burley takes to casings and toppings rather well, and even without added flavorings, the natural characteristics of burley rarely crowd out or sublimate other tobaccos. Second, burley tends to burn more readily and offer less chance of bite.

Another good reason to try burley blends is because burley, much like virginia, finds its way in many, many blends. Being familiar with the nuances of burley can help one appreciate other blends more.

Burley has a naturally earthy and nutty taste, with the best having a naturally cocoa or roasted-nuttiness flavor(s) to them. This can pair exceptionally well with dark fired kentucky (which is a kind of burley) or perique, making for a bold smoke that doesn't taste overly sweet or artificial.

And that nicotine I mentioned earlier? For those looking for a good nicotine punch, burleys deliver. I'm not a fiend for nicotine, but I do find myself appreciating its restorative properties after a hard day's work. But for those who are coming to pipe smoking from cigarettes or rub, burley blends may be their first stop, as it is usually the most nicotine heavy.

There are other reasons, but they venture into subjective territory. I will say, burley's reputation has really improved in the last decade, but for a long time it has been considered inferior because of its association with value brands. But quality burley can be a delicious leaf, and at the very least, is a valuable blending component to many, if not most, blends out there.

CascadianFyn

Lurker
Oct 17, 2022
PacNW
I tried my first Burley this week as well. I got some Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired Hot Pressed and I really wanted to like it. I didn't dislike it per se but I certainly didn't love it. It was tangy and smokey, a little sweet but not much. Smelled a little like a rich hot sauce when I opened the tin, which was super interesting. Otherwise it was just a "meh" for me.

Reactions: yanoJL and Scottmi

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Since most of the popular codger blends for the last 60 yrs have been burly based, I felt an obligation to try almost all of them and found their profiles after several bowls. Each took awhile to really get its flavor, and in most cases its a casing or a topping along with the nutty tobacco.. Nice to know your varietals.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I started smoking some burley blends this summer. For me it is a mid-day smoke if I have the time and the weather (I live in Wisconsin). If I need a pick-me-up, it is my go-to blend. Otherwise I stick with Virginias and English blends.
Pewaukee?!? I'm in pewaukee every Thursday, and Waukesha mon tue wed.

Reactions: jwussow

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
Wow! Many great and informative responses. I’m adding Dark Fired to my list to try as well. The 111 so far is ..light tasting. Pleasant enough. I’ll look for the nuttiness and whatnot as i explore it (and the others) more this weekend. :)

Reactions: jwussow and UB 40

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
I'm not very familiar with Peretti blends, so I can't speak to their quality or flavor, but I'm a big burley fan, and I want to try to answer your question objectively.

There are a few reason I can think of that pipe smokers should try burley-dominant blends.

First, the way burley is typically prepared (i.e. air-cured) means it is less acidic, less sugary, and typically higher in nicotine than many other kinds of tobaccos. The benefits of this are two-fold. First, burley takes to casings and toppings rather well, and even without added flavorings, the natural characteristics of burley rarely crowd out or sublimate other tobaccos. Second, burley tends to burn more readily and offer less chance of bite.

Another good reason to try burley blends is because burley, much like virginia, finds its way in many, many blends. Being familiar with the nuances of burley can help one appreciate other blends more.

Burley has a naturally earthy and nutty taste, with the best having a naturally cocoa or roasted-nuttiness flavor(s) to them. This can pair exceptionally well with dark fired kentucky (which is a kind of burley) or perique, making for a bold smoke that doesn't taste overly sweet or artificial.

And that nicotine I mentioned earlier? For those looking for a good nicotine punch, burleys deliver. I'm not a fiend for nicotine, but I do find myself appreciating its restorative properties after a hard day's work. But for those who are coming to pipe smoking from cigarettes or rub, burley blends may be their first stop, as it is usually the most nicotine heavy.

There are other reasons, but they venture into subjective territory. I will say, burley's reputation has really improved in the last decade, but for a long time it has been considered inferior because of its association with value brands. But quality burley can be a delicious leaf, and at the very least, is a valuable blending component to many, if not most, blends out there.
Very helpful and useful framework for considering them as i try them. Thank you!

Reactions: K.E. Powell

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
I’ve really only every had virgina type blends and enjoy them muchly! But always curious about what i haven’t tried. Just received the Non-Aromatic Burley Sampler set from Peretti with 4 blends. 111, 52, 33 and BPC. Starting with 111 just now. .. and don’t quite know what to make of it. It is...different. View attachment 176479
Briefest of descriptions of the blends, here:

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
Briefest of descriptions of the blends, here:
Correction: the sample set includes blend 333 (not 33).

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
Very helpful and useful framework for considering them as i try them. Thank you!
I'm glad it was useful! There is one other minor benefit I neglected to mention. I like to keep a small bag of just basic blending burley. If I have a tobacco that has a harsh bite or refuses to stay lit, I find adding a little burley can help alleviate those problems without too strongly changing the flavor and character of the original blend.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
The benefits of this are two-fold. First, burley takes to casings and toppings rather well, and even without added flavorings, the natural characteristics of burley rarely crowd out or sublimate other tobaccos. Second, burley tends to burn more readily and offer less chance of bite.

Not to detract from your excellent treatise on Burley, but could you explain your usage of “sublimate”? I’ve seen JimInks use the word often, but it doesn’t jibe with my understanding of its definition and correct usage. What am I missing here?

Reactions: K.E. Powell