PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

OneGoodBulldog

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2020
I thought I'd pose the question to the armchair experts and see what we turn up.

Why do manufacturers press tobacco into plugs or flake cuts? When was the first occurence of tobacco being pressed and cut? What purpose did it serve then and now and how has this process changed, if at all over the years?

I think it arose as a means of storage. Blocks of pressed tobacco take up less space than bales. Would make things easier for shipping. I think as time progressed and transportation became less an issue the practice continued because, well obviously there is a craft component to it and the change to the smoking experience is undeniable.

Who are some of your favorite makers of flake or plug cut tobacco and why? I think I'm a Mac Baren man in the making. I've tried a good number of their blends by now and I can honestly say I've never been even the slightest bit disappointed. For me, MB will always be a go-to maker.

Thoughts, comments? Hard flung tomatoes?

Cheers.

Reactions: kg.legat0

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
Pressing “marries” the different flavors of a blend. The oils and flavor compounds are spread throughout the blend, giving you a consistent flavor throughout.

Back in the day, a plug of tobacco, or rope for that matter, traveled and stored easier than ribbon or shag and so that was the prime reason tobacco was pressed.

Today, pressing not only marries the flavors, but can cause nifty things like anaerobic fermentation to happen, and it provides us fussy pipe smokers with something to fiddle with.

My favorite pressed blend is Old Gowrie. It’s broken up before being tinned. Favorite flake cut, at the moment might be LNF, or HH Bold Kentucky, or, no, it’s FVF. Just kidding. It’s Sixpence. I meant Regent’s Flake. I don’t actually know. Favorite plug is I suppose Gaslight.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Plugs and ropes aren't my thing. I tried few and the labor goes into getting good a cut out of them isn't exactly easy. If using dedicated tobacco cutter, sure it's possible. If you have strong and steady hand, even Opinel can possibly do it. But to what point? Can you get consistent flake out of it? Cube? Shag cut? But that might not be an issue. It's supposed to get more consistent taste also, but how consistent? With so many smokers cellaring and ageing the tobacco, would there be superior end result from plug? Maybe I'm just too lazy to slice them. Whenever I take out a plug, they just seat in a jar forever.

Fiddlepiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 22, 2020
Scotland
www.danielthorpemusic.com
I prefer flake to ribbon cut. Even rubbed out I like the slower smoke I seem to get from it.

I’ve not tried Plug or Rope yet, although I have some revor jarred, so can’t comment on them.

I definitely think that the pressing marries together flavours as mentioned above and the “shelf-life” would be a lot longer than ribbon cut I suppose.

As to favourite producers - I like Rattrays Flakes very much, the most flake I have is made by Samuel Gawith. But Germains Rich Dark Flake is probably my favourite.

rajangan

Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
With decreased surface area which is exposed to air, the risk of mold is decreased, and mold which might form would begin as visible on the outside before it could penetrate rather than hidden in between whole leaves or somewhere in a mass of shag. This is good for the buyer too because they can easily see this.

Also, tobacco could be retailed by the inch of rope or plug which, without scales, is more dependable than anything loose.

OneGoodBulldog

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2020
With decreased surface area which is exposed to air, the risk of mold is decreased, and mold which might form would begin as visible on the outside before it could penetrate rather than hidden in between whole leaves or somewhere in a mass of shag. This is good for the buyer too because they can easily see this.

Also, tobacco could be retailed by the inch of rope or plug which, without scales, is more dependable than anything loose.
I had never thought of that last bit about selling the stuff. I suppose measurements of rope or plug would be a good way to do that!

I knew there was an anti-molding angle to it as well, but clarify something for me will you? When tobacco is pressed, does it come out bone dry or is it at any point allowed to become bone dry? I've had some flippant tobacconists tell me some porky pies, so I just want to check, lol!

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

OneGoodBulldog

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2020
Plugs and ropes aren't my thing. I tried few and the labor goes into getting good a cut out of them isn't exactly easy. If using dedicated tobacco cutter, sure it's possible. If you have strong and steady hand, even Opinel can possibly do it. But to what point? Can you get consistent flake out of it? Cube? Shag cut? But that might not be an issue. It's supposed to get more consistent taste also, but how consistent? With so many smokers cellaring and ageing the tobacco, would there be superior end result from plug? Maybe I'm just too lazy to slice them. Whenever I take out a plug, they just seat in a jar forever.
Well sir, if you really don't want to smoke those pesky plugs...

Reactions: bullet08

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think pressing is a way of merging different tobacco flavors and also acts to preserve tobacco better than loose tobacco that is much more exposed to air. A plug or rope, and to some extent a flake or coin, retains flavor and moisture somewhat longer than loose tobacco. Without all the air, pressed tobacco probably does take up less space, but I don't think that's the central purpose, more like a side benefit. Heating, pressing, and aging are the three main events and tools in the blender's kit. Preparing pressed cuts is either tiresome work or one of the joys of pipe smoking. When there's time, I really enjoy it.

Reactions: OneGoodBulldog

F4RM3R

Nov 28, 2019
Canada
In addition to what other members have said about flavours and burn rate, plugs, when the leaf cells are broken from pressing then a different type of fermentation or breakdown from the enzymes can take place. If it's held in press then it's sort of an anaerobic fermentation inside the plug. That's my guess anyway.

For practical reasons, i think way back in the day it wasn't very common for people to have easy access to airtight containers like jars and metal tins. Some may have just had a leather or cloth tobacco pouch, or nothing at all and just a pocket to stick their tobacco in.

F4RM3R

Nov 28, 2019
Canada
I only smoke my own whole leaf blends and much prefer to press and twist. With virginia tobaccos a ribbon vs flake is a big difference even with the same leaf. Also with stoving tobaccos you'll get slightly different results with plugs vs a loose tobacco. You can stove some or all components loose leaf and blend and press after. But pressing first and stoving together will offer something different.

Reactions: OneGoodBulldog

rajangan

Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
Still on the topic of retailing. If pressed and stamped, the block itself becomes permanently branded, with or without packaging.

$_3.JPG

Reactions: Casual

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
Plugs and flakes are to much effort for me. Whenever I get them, I usually cut the plugs and rub out the entire tin all at one time, then put away. If I want a smoke, i dont want to play with the tobacco for 5 minutes before hand.
But, can't argue with the great results some blenders have come up with in this format.

Status
Not open for further replies.