PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

finnian3

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 12, 2015
Illinois
All,

I noticed that many a pipe smoker starts with aromatics, but then moves on to non-aromatics. What gives? I for one love my aromatics, so I shall not be swayed by public opinion, I just don't get the contempt for my aromatics.

I don't think anyone wakes up one morning and say's I am going to do what everyone else does. For me, I started off with non-aromatics, because the idea of smoking a flavoring just didn't appeal to me. I liked cigarettes and cigars, and not the menthol ones nor the vanilla icecream ones. However, in exploring tobaccos, I have delved into aromatics and found some that I like. But, they just aren't what I think of as a tobacco smoking experience. But, that's me. I can't speak for everyone else.
But, lets flip the question... what is it about sweet icecream-ish flavorings that covers up the taste of the wonderful blessed tobaccos that appeals to you?
Just for what it's worth... we have many members who only smoke aromatics. So, this is not an anti-aromatic forum. All are welcome here. And, if you can tolerate us expressing that we don't like the same things you like, we will tolerate you liking those things and telling us why you don't like what we like. fair?

And, I also notice that aromatic aficionados never write or respond to reviews of aromatics, or tobacco in general. I think that this doesn't really help, so with so many people engaged in just the non-aromatic reviews, it does tend to look like we favor the non-aros.

Post some engaging aromatic reviews. Start a hair raising discussion on aromatics in general. But, you may have to poke some other aromatic smokers to get them to engage.
My favorite aromatic right now, is Peterson's 2017 Summertime blend. it has a good amount of nicotine. I can taste the tobacco about half way down, and the flavoring seems to be at the perfect level. I have no idea what the flavor is, but at least it allows me to taste the tobacco a little.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I like all genres, except for heavy handed Latakia blends. As far as aros, I am currently enjoying:

Blackberry Brandy

Exotic Orange

Kendal Gold Banana

Black Raspberry

Chocolate Truffle

Blood Red Moon

D&R London Dock

Stokkebye Cinnamon

Rich Dark Honeydew

Ennerdale Flake

Devil's Holiday

Auenland

St. Patrick's Day 2016

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I tried smoking some aromatics years ago and I just couldn't get on with them as they burned way to hot for my tastes. A couple I sampled were so colorful they resembled the inside of CP3O's sphincter and one was the hue of a vitamin C deprived Minion!

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
I love a good aromatic. That's most of what I smoke, since I don't like the way Latakia flattens the sense of taste, and Perique can be a bit too peppery. So I mainly smoke aro's, Virginia's, and light VaPer's. SWRA gets a lot of compliments from bystanders, and it's one I enjoy for it's drier leaf, creamy smoke, (too-)light flavor, and good nic punch. I smoke that more than anything.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
My perspective is if I order a beef steak I want it to taste of beef steak and not say haddock or Parmesan cheese.
I'm often puzzled by folks who smoke certain aromatic blends that have been so heavily flavoured that there is no tobacco to be tasted at all. I only know such blends exist because in my early forays into tobacco tasting I foolishly bought such blends.
Granted, there are many lovers of aromatic blends but of course there are aromatic blends then there are aromatic blends. Some have flavourings delicately applied and allow the tobacco to be tasted but others are to me at least just a pipeful of (often but not exclusively artificial) flavourings.
I smoke a pipe to enjoy the nuances of the various leaves in the mix. Any blender who knows his onions can create a range of stunningly tasty blends by simply using the leaf to provide the flavour, no additives necessary.
But if you enjoy plum and strawberry supreme with banana and vanilla then so be it...just smoke it downwind from me :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I noticed that many a pipe smoker starts with aromatics, but then moves on to non-aromatics. What gives? I for one love my aromatics, so I shall not be swayed by public opinion, I just don't get the contempt for my aromatics.
What's really funny, is that the non aro smokers haven't learned how to smoke an aro. It took me nearly thirty years to figure them out.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I don't think anyone wakes up one morning and say's I am going to do what everyone else does.
Yeah, but most of them do it anyway. We are herd animals.
As far as aromatics, there are two groups. The natural aromatics (Lakelands, Mixture 79, Condor, Royal Yacht, Irish Flake) are different from the sodapop aromatics, which tend to use as Cosmic says "ice cream" flavors that instead of complementing the tobacco like natural aromatics, mostly obscure it so that you are smoking for the added flavor instead of the tobacco.
I have recently become converted to the brilliance of Conniston Cut Plug ("Unscented") as one of the best natural aromatics available. But, it smells like old lady soap and dandruff shampoo, and leaves a room smelling like incense.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My topmost blends are non-aromatic, but I enjoy select tobacco-forward aromatics in my rotation as a change of pace and to set up my enjoyment of the next bowl of non-aro.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
By far, my favorite aromatic is Lane's BL/WB. It has their toasty marshmallow smell/flavor but not to the point where it wipes out the Burley.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I for one love my aromatics, so I shall not be swayed by public opinion, I just don't get the contempt for my aromatics.
Try not to take such posts so personally. Are you smoking for self-enjoyment? Or, for the applause of others? It's not as though those who are upset with your choices, show up on your lawn at night and burn bags of aros while chanting, "death to aro smokers!"
Some "anti-aros" simply cannot come to terms the idea that everyone has a different palate. Many have appointed themselves as the single and only acceptable, well informed arbiter of taste.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
I can't remember who it was that coined the phrase a couple of yrs ago when Molto Dolce was all the rage among aro smokers, that it was like smoking Play-Doh. Having just tried a sample at that time, I thought that was pretty accurate.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I dont know much about aromatics, but few of those which I recently had to this day(Amphora Full red,Amphora Special Reserve Black Cavendish and finally the famous Clan Mixture)all them were quite enjoyable experience, nonetheless,after having of 30+ year of Kentucky Ryo cigarette, French unfiltered Gauloises&Gitanes and cuban cigar practice behind me, I can't imagine myself smoking aromatic vanilla choice'had I followed in the aromatic choice trail ,it would have deprice me in my own eyes,or could you imagine the famous Comissaire Maigret by George Simenon smoking aromatics or Sherlock Holmes in that matter, me no.

Ps, Mr Deniz, the recipe of that your own Mixture sounds pretty thrilling

orobusto

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2015
New York
I enjoy coffee aromatics and nutty aromatics (usually cut with 25% five brothers, now leaning toward C&D Dark Fired Kentucky). I also like to mix just a little coffee aromatic into my lighter English blends. It's like a coffee version of Two Friends English Chocolate.

Status
Not open for further replies.