PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
It's because of the proverbial, legendary latakia wall. Something you never hear of happening with non-latakia blends. The first 10 years of smoking I regularly smoked English blends. Then hit that wall seemingly overnight and could not abide any latakia for the next 20 years. Then regained my desire for it 10 years ago and smoked at least 1 latakia blend daily for the next 10 years. Heck, just a month ago while fantasizing about a cellar I'd never put together I figured I'd have to stock it halfway with latakia blends I'd been enjoying, say 35-40 pounds worth. Then shortly thereafter, Bam, hit that magical wall again and have no desire for any amount of latakia. If my fantasy had been reality I could have been stuck with 40 pounds of latakia blends with no guarantee my tastes would change back before I die.:eek:

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
It's because of the proverbial, legendary latakia wall. Something you never hear of happening with non-latakia blends. The first 10 years of smoking I regularly smoked English blends. Then hit that wall seemingly overnight and could not abide any latakia for the next 20 years. Then regained my desire for it 10 years ago and smoked at least 1 latakia blend daily for the next 10 years. Heck, just a month ago while fantasizing about a cellar I'd never put together I figured I'd have to stock it halfway with latakia blends I'd been enjoying, say 35-40 pounds worth. Then shortly thereafter, Bam, hit that magical wall again and have no desire for any amount of latakia. If my fantasy had been reality I could have been stuck with 40 pounds of latakia blends with no guarantee my tastes would change back before I die.:eek:
Yeah I tried to get into it and bought tons of the classic Dunhill blends etc. ended up trading it all. Couldn’t get into Latakia and if I don’t like it I’m not forcing myself to like it. Made good trade material, though!

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Doesn't take me 20 years to recover though. Just a few weeks, maybe a month to get back into latikia. On the other hand, I've never really recovered from the perique frenzy I went through in 2010. I got so into it I was spiking everything with perique and then eventually just starting smoking McClleland's blending perique straight up.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
I’m yet to hit that wall, at least as hard as you’ve hit it. Often for me, it’s a time thing. If I’ve only got, say, 20 minutes to smoke, I’m grabbing a burley. A little longer to smoke, a VaPer or VA.

Latakia is a bit of a palate overload, but if I can stretch the smoke out at a leisurely pace i really, really love it.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Doesn't take me 20 years to recover though. Just a few weeks, maybe a month to get back into latikia. On the other hand, I've never really recovered from the perique frenzy I went through in 2010. I got so into it I was spiking everything with perique and then eventually just starting smoking McClleland's blending perique straight up.
Perique blends are what I'm into now, either VaPers or Oriental blends.

mityahicks

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 18, 2018
Yeah, I smoke significantly less Latakia than other blends, still like them better than most Aros, but the good news is they are not that tempting on the TAD front.

That part of my cellar is essentially complete. In fact, sans a couple unobtainable blends I can move the focus to more fine pipes.

This is a good problem to have.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Since my ideal rate is just a few bowls a week I doubt I'd ever get tired of Latakia.
The bigger issue is Latakia becomes more subtle if cellared for more than 10 years. I would never want to have a large cellar of Lat blends.
This ^^
I enjoy some latakia blends but I usually buy in small quantities for this reason.
On the other hand, some latakia blends mellow out and become really nice.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

ram74

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2013
I have been smoking Latakia blends daily for 8 years and about 6 months ago I started experimenting with vapers, oriental blends and straight virginias. While I like them for change of pace I don’t love them like Latakia blends. I just find most vapers and straight virginias bland and not complex. I am still forcing myself to smoke them, to see if I learn how to coax more flavor out of them and honestly I find them an ok lunch time smoke but nothing special. I don’t doubt it may be just me, that I just have not gotten the hang of smoking them but I don’t think I will ever love them like I do Latakia blends.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.