Why Is Your Stash The Best Of All Possible Options?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Wolfe's point of view, that the egoism of one's view is the egoism of the group to which he belongs is, I think, the more interesting question when compared to the more general question posed by the OP. Given that the laws of the antis have made smoking at the B&M and pub a practice past, the forums have become the group. Though there is a group culture, no one opinion rules the selection of either pipes or tobacco, but I would say that many of us have been diligent consumers of the best pipes we could afford and are biased toward tobacco without aromatic additives.
Egoism as the elevation of one's view at the expense of oneself and others, is the sad lot of humanity, especially this poster. There are far too many members of forums to identify the views of egotistic groups, but from time to time I do see such in specific threads.

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
Even if you could pin down some kind of XYZ coordinates for the ideal cellar, ACTUAL cellars also exist on the time axis; and what was ideal at one point on that axis might be no longer. Some of the tobacco I have, I bought because I wanted to expand my palate and broaden my knowledge and my taste. Some of those blends I tried, and don't much like. Here's a bad analogy--if my cellar is a DNA blueprint for the kind of future I'd like to have in smoking, then some of that DNA is "junk". It is noncoding, nonfunctional ballast. Vestigial.
That tin of Lakeland you keep moving from house to house is so much genetic drift!

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
Only after following your link, deathmetal, do I realize how on-the-nose that analogy turned out to be!

wy2w

Might Stick Around
Nov 10, 2015
When the light of a thousand suns shine down upon my home, and the contents of my cellar are instantaneously vaporized I shall inhale deeply knowing that I am dying a happy man. Yes, I have to beat it to the punch, though. Ok, now I can’t leave my cellar! Well, so much for showers, and such. Hey, pass me that piece of flint; I need to fire my pipe…
@elbert - The string theory of tobacco - I like it!!!

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
@elbert:
Good theory. Fits all the facts. I also suffer from the presence of some blends that are not really to my taste. I tough it out. The Lakelands are stored in a custom-built cellar 400m from the house, however, and I can still smell them.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I have close to twenty pounds of various lakelands.
Lakelands are measured in grandmas (a unit corresponding roughly to 98 lbs, dependent on humidity and altitude). You have 1/5 grandma of Lakelands.

Status
Not open for further replies.