Why is Peterson Non-System More Popular than System?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Qwerty53

Lurker
Jul 17, 2021
Title edited: Important words should be capitalized as well as proper nouns.

Good time of the day,
I am a newbie!
Snatched Deluxe System PSB P-Lip (no comment about how I dared to do it when I am only a newbie please). Now I was gifted a peterson non system too. Haven't smoked neither. I need to sell one of them so thus the question
My question is, why would anyone that gets Peterson would use non system one? I mean if we exclude the cleaning laziness? I am talking about pure smoking.
Moreover, looking at peterson line there are maaany more non system than system.....so that means people actually prefer none system.... please enlighten me.
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
I have both and tend to reach for my non-system pipes. Reasons: 1) yes, sometimes lazy… and, 2) I’ve found that the smoking differences to be negligible. Yes, a system pipe can yield a drier smoke, but I’ve never had problem with a lot of moisture. So, for me, it’s not a big deal.

Last edited:

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
I have both. Sometimes I just don't want to deal with the system clean-up. (Carefully separate bit from shank without tipping the condensation out, roll up a tissue swab and insert it into mortise, bang out the dottle, do the thing with pipe cleaners on the bit, extract the nasty tissue swab and flush it down the toilet, clean the stummel, lay it down with the bit and let it air-dry.)

Other times I do. What I can't figure out is why there's so much condensation or drool in the pipe. I never have the problem with "regular" pipes. But smoking my Mark Twain, et al., feels like I'm doing something cool. If it was good enough for Twain, it's (sometimes) good enough for me. And I like the P-lip because it hangs effortlessly from my bottom teeth. Situational adaptation and mood, I reckon. No actual preference, in my case.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I only buy pipes that I like the look of.

I have both Pete systems and non-system pipes and even pseudo-system (my terminology for those with high mortise drilling and pseudo-well below) ones.
All bought on looks purely.

Do I have a preference ? NO

Systems pipes are ridiculously easy to clean and may take an extra 1-2 mins, so why should that be a deal-breaker ?

I see the choice of a P-lip or fishtail as a more important issue. But as most respondents have indicated, most get used to the P-lip, and a lot actually prefer it, as a distinctive Pete characteristic.

Reactions: paulfg and Ahi Ka

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Simplicity is important to me in pipe smoking. I don't want any extra steps in cleaning or items to buy or clean. I have about a dozen Peterson pipes and no system pipes. I have nothing against them; these are just the ones that appealed to me most. All but one are fishtail bits. When there were some quality control problems a few years ago, I was pleased that none of mine had those. System pipes confer more bragging rights, so you have to decide how much that means to you. Nothing to me.

The System pipe is more expensive, plain and simple. I have a couple and they smoke great but they are scarce to find without the P-lip (aka scorch-the-hell-outta-the-roof-of-my-mouth-lip). The smoke is drier in a system but you have to disassemble the system to properly clean it. This poses no problems for me because I always break down my pipes after each use for a fairly thorough cleaning.

When cleaning a system pipe, be sure to dry out the reservoir. That's where the the moisture collects which keeps the smoke dry. They are a bit more work to keep sweet because of that reservoir. I use an alcohol based liquid (50% isopropyl, 50% Johnnie Walker Blue label) and pipe cleaners.

Peterson has really stepped up their aesthetics and quality control of late, but in the past, some moved to other brands once they hit the Peterson System price point. I don't think that's much of an issue anymore.

Keep the System.. puffy

Reactions: OzPiper

badbeard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Not only do I find the P-lip uncomfortable to clench, I honestly believe ol' Chuck had a good sense of humor when he made the P-nis-lip.
In all seriousness, I just find these types of pipes troublesome in many ways. The system well can accumulate a lot of moisture, and if you have ever had to stick a pipe in a pocket after smoking and had that puddle leak out.. it does not smell nice at all. The system pipe "well" design addresses the symptoms of a problem that is non-existent in pipe that is well engineered. The old vulcanite P-lips were ok, but the new fatter and rounder acrylic ones slide all over the place in my teeth. The P-lip's design seems to move tongue bite to a roof of mouth, just powered through a bowl of Cap'n'crunch rawness. I just don't see a reason for any of it.