PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I've purchased 9 Morreti pipes now on eBay direct from the pipe maker. I have to say I'm shocked but pleased at the prices I've been able to buy those at. I've broken in 5 of them pretty good and they smoke as good as any radice I have owned or presently own. Every one effortlessly passes a pipe cleaner and all extremely well. They tend to be light for their size. They most remind me of Le Nuvole which I consider high praise. Marco is extremely responsive, ships immediately after the auction, they have always arrived with 2 days.
Is there some history I'm unaware of? I'm just vey puzzled by what I've seen.

Reactions: twoonefive

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I have one. For me it is all timing. I just never seem to see an auction going at a great price when I am ready to pull the trigger. I have one, but I could just as easily have 20 if events had transpired a bit differently. They are that good.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
I have a set of three Rhodesians (Olivewood, Briar and Morta, same pipe/different materials) and you are right, they smoke as well as any of the Italian brands. They are still a good buy but have gone up in price over the last couple of years. The nice thing about Morreti pipes is that he will make you any pipe you would like for about the same amount as his current EBay price and the turnaround time is several weeks at worst. Good smokers, wonderful workmanship and priced to be a great value.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
It must be something with the name "Moretti". Moretti beer is absolutely fabulous, IMO far superior to Peroni in every way. And yet, when Americans think of Italian beer, it is almost always Peroni.

Reactions: Elric
Why do you think that they are overlooked? Is it because it is not discussed on here much? I think that some Italian pipe-makers just don't get much attention on the forums. But, here is a Moretti for $2000 - Moretti
But, keep in mind that there are tons and tons and tons of Italian pipe makers, so we can't give them all attention on the forums. Stefani, Armolini, Croci, Don Carlos, Jacano, Grigoriv, Baldi, Anatra, Ascorti, Bacigalupi, Brebbia, Rinaldo, I could go on and on and on... Apparently you can't swing a dead cat in Italy without hitting a pipemaker. I think that it's law there that every one who smokes a pipe must have their own personal one on one pipemaker.

filmshooter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2017
Ive seen these on there and would probably have one except for a grabow collecting frenzy I've been on recently. However, I never understood why the US seller that has so many of these listed is charging so much more than the Italy based seller. It made me wary of the actual origin as it seems the US seller has many to sell, at high prices, but offers little description for each. Meanwhile, the Italy based seller has a detailed description, offers them at low prices and starts auctions at a penny.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
You're correct about all the Italian pipe makers. When I said overlooked, I didn't mean here, I meant the market. Yes, I see he has a $2,000 pipe listed but the vast majority of his auctions go for $90 to $115.

It made me wary of the actual origin as it seems the US seller has many to sell, at high prices, but offers little description for each. Meanwhile, the Italy based seller has a detailed description, offers them at low prices and starts auctions at a penny.

I don't go to the grocer with my wife. She embarrasses the crap out of me with coupons and arguing over the price of every little thing. Me, when I see something I want, I get it. If I pay a little more than what I would have gotten if I had of spent hours researching and hours squabbling like a girl over 5%, then the price is worth not having to shop like a little old woman. Sometimes, I don't even look at prices.
But, I bet the differences in prices are the cost to the middleman that gets the pipes here, distributors.
Yeh, pipe sellers that don't supply sizes and weights are lazy Stronzo.
But, probably the key reason for the lack of attention to certain Italian makers is due to lack of distribution and representation. A good middle man beats a big drum. But, if you can buy directly from Italy and get the pipes for cheaper, then if I were the middle man, I would avoid the freakin' hell out of that brand. Only a complete moron would represent a pipe maker that allows his pipes to be sold directly to the customers. If you have to compete with the maker, then you are playing a losing game.

Reactions: Casual

7ach

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2013
I like moretti pipes. I have 3, and I even visited him in his shop a few years ago. Grain is good and shapes are nice. Mine all smoke well. Only thing keeping me from buying more is I find the bits to be thicker than I prefer. That being said I'm sure I'll get another one at some point to see if there is any change.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
There have been a few Moretti discussions from time to time. I have one of Marco's freehand magnums that's a great smoker.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
I have a dublin Moretti. Not a bad pipe at all.
004-006-17543.jpg

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I've seen too many Morettis that are too influenced by the Italian aesthetic that large is better and clunky allowed. Castello follows both of these standards with more restraint, yet both also make many pipes that are saved from both. Morettis are often inexpensive, and as I mistake this for being cheap, I don't take the brand as seriously as I should.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Yeah, that's, what happens when you try to clench an 8 ounce pipe without dentures in.

Status
Not open for further replies.