Why Is Capstan So Much More Expensive Than Orlik?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wellington

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 31, 2012
Never been a virginia man, and through my numerous attempts at smoking Orlik GS, I once had a brief moment of my tongue not burning and getting an incredible taste that I've never forgotten. I'm interested in trying it again, and when looking on 4noggins I saw that Orlik is $9 and Capstan is over $15. Whats the deal here? Aren't they similar?

Reactions: BROBS

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Never been a virginia man, and through my numerous attempts at smoking Orlik GS, I once had a brief moment of my tongue not burning and getting an incredible taste that I've never forgotten. I'm interested in trying it again, and when looking on 4noggins I saw that Orlik is $9 and Capstan is over $15. Whats the deal here? Aren't they similar?
The Capstans are not the same as OGS. The Capstans, even before Mac Baren made it, were always higher priced than OGS.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
I understand from an article that I can't find at the moment that Orlik Golden Sliced is by far Denmark's most popular pipe tobacco and that the domestic demand is huge. This must lead to production efficiencies and therefore a lower price. Also, with the OGS being such a staple blend, the price would be kept lower to maintain demand.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
I understand from an article that I can't find at the moment that Orlik Golden Sliced is by far Denmark's most popular pipe tobacco and that the domestic demand is huge. This must lead to production efficiencies and therefore a lower price. Also, with the OGS being such a staple blend, the price would be kept lower to maintain demand.
Here is the link to the article saying that OGS is Denmark's best selling pipe tobacco.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I buy my tobacco in Denmark. Capstan and OGS cost the same there. Where I buy it, OGS actually costs a little bit more.
That is because there is anti smoking legislation, intentionally driving prices up to keep people from smoking. So prices in Denmark are not indicative of demand or popularity of a blend. An OTC is only marginally cheaper than tinned blends.
This is not intended to start a discussion on legislation.

Status
Not open for further replies.