PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Kissel bixby

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 10, 2021
I work 16 hrsa day but only 3 one week n 2 the next. On my days off I basically smoke all day n night. I stared adding pipes because it became a swamp at the bottom of my 2 original pipes and I still kept packing. Then I started English so I decided to dedicate pipes English to aros. My wife does all the buying and the few things I ordered online, no matter how great offered average excitement. When I order a bunch of new tobaccos or pipes, it reminds me of Xmas as a little kid. I literally track the package 6xs minimum a day. When it arrives I am electric with excitement. I am amazed on how much of a rush it is. It's not about showcasing and all but about new n different smoking experiences. I started going on this forum because I am annoying my wife and friends because all I talk about is how good the pipe or tobacco is. I don't mean to be a broken record but the smoking aspect of my life is one of my greatest self pleasures. I quit drinking the last 2 months and I don't care because the pipe ignites all my senses.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
For me it has always been trying to find "The ONE". So I don't care for this pipe, try a different style, still not what I want, so I change it again. I don't buy more pipes just to have a rotation. I don't want a rotation, I like not having to choose. But I end up with so many, trying to perfect it.

badbeard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2017
Kentucky, USA
For me it has always been trying to find "The ONE". So I don't care for this pipe, try a different style, still not what I want, so I change it again. I don't buy more pipes just to have a rotation. I don't want a rotation, I like not having to choose. But I end up with so many, trying to perfect it.
This has been my quest. I am always trying to simplify by finding that one brand, or even one model that does exactly what I need. I have a couple three briars, a meer, a clay, and a few cobs. Even as slim as I am right now, having to choose between them in "rotation" kinda pisses me off. They all have benefits, but they also all kind of suck at certain things. Hence just buying/selling/trading/buying in hopes that I hit the jackpot and find "the ONE". I have gone through a pretty wide price spectrum and about the closest I've come is a standard MM Legend, or an off the shelf Dr. G. They can take a beating, are comfortable, smoke consistently, and can take a filter if things go pear shaped. Still, I can't help but think there is some pipe out there made for me.
I dunno.. maybe I need to buy another falcon and give that a go.. it's borderline insanity.

Road To Pines

Might Stick Around
Sep 2, 2020
Ontario, Canada
What other reasons do you have?
In part, to participate in 'the old ways' and keep a part of culture alive. The whole sphere of pipe smoking is another of our fading cultural institutions. Tobacco cultivation and blending, and pipe design and crafting, are marvelous arts, unique human achievements. It's astounding how people can find the essences in natural things and bring them out in ways that never existed before. It's uplifting, humanizing.

These marvelous achievements are waning and soon enough at risk of being lost, maybe even within this generation. Even the simple act of taking time to sit quietly and enjoy simple moments is becoming a rare, radical act.

I buy the beautifully crafted pipes and masterfully blended tobaccos not only because I find pipe smoking enjoyable and fulfilling in itself, but also because I like to participate in the liveliness and elegance of a time when things were more valued for their beauty -- a time when honor was given to the material things that populate our lives. I sense and appreciate the hand of the pipe maker and the gifts of the world.

It's important that these (tobacco blends and pipes) have been wrought and passed hand to hand, and continue their journey in our own hands. It's important that, despite mechanization, at some point the human hand still figures in the craft. Once our hands are no longer involved, our energies hurtle off toward whatever the mind imagines or desires, beyond limit and out of balance. But I like to think, or maybe hope, that holding a craftwork and nurturing an ember in our hands might help us remember our care for life, might keep a good memory of the world alive.

When I enjoy a smoke, I stand among the lineage of farmers, craftsmen, blenders, and tobacconists... and of the workers, writers, thinkers, dreamers, travelers whose minds and hearts have wandered for a while with the smoke from their pipes, finding their path in not such a grasping and linear way as is often the case these days.

I feel that the efforts of those who came before are better fulfilled through my use and enjoyment: that a bit of goodness may come into the world.

Pipeoff

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 22, 2021
Western New York
Why so many pipes? I've asked myself, looking at the pipe shop in my study. I have more pipes on hand than the local Tinder Box at the mall before it closed. So here are some reasons why, after buying a reasonable dozen pipes, I kept buying more.

1. As a reward for doing other things in life that aren't rewarding, like doing the paperwork for taxes, balancing my check book, paying bills, etc.

2. On the basis that each new pipe bought with it a mystique that would slightly open up and change my life. Younger, I felt this way about new clothes, but not so much any more.

3. The idea that each pipe made life one notch better and cheered me up.

4. The idea that capturing pipes brought their culture and national differences into my life in an enriching way.

What other reasons do you have? Maybe, which of these don't you have?
Many good reasons have been posted but I might add that my accountant wife has been confinced that upon resale they are a better investment than the stock market!

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
This has been my quest. I am always trying to simplify by finding that one brand, or even one model that does exactly what I need. I have a couple three briars, a meer, a clay, and a few cobs. Even as slim as I am right now, having to choose between them in "rotation" kinda pisses me off. They all have benefits, but they also all kind of suck at certain things. Hence just buying/selling/trading/buying in hopes that I hit the jackpot and find "the ONE". I have gone through a pretty wide price spectrum and about the closest I've come is a standard MM Legend, or an off the shelf Dr. G. They can take a beating, are comfortable, smoke consistently, and can take a filter if things go pear shaped. Still, I can't help but think there is some pipe out there made for me.
I dunno.. maybe I need to buy another falcon and give that a go.. it's borderline insanity.
Exactly! My two favorite pipes are my MM Legend, and my Dr. Grabow.

Reactions: badbeard

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Btw, your username always reminds me of a part of a Longmire book, where they are telling the new guys what to do after a helicopter lands in enemy territory during Vietnam.
I love the movie "The deer hunter". And the Simpsons did a great rendition of that roulette clip as well! Hahaha

Reactions: badbeard

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
Sometimes I fully intend to stop buying but haven’t been able to. Pipes have appealed to me ever since college during the cigar boom. I’ve always smoked cigars but have been drawn to the functional art that pipes are. I have north of $50K in my pipes and although I’ve drastically slowed down my purchases, I have never halted completely.

Reactions: tobefrank