Why Does My Tin Of Tobacco Taste Different To The Sample?

• Thread starter Corcoran-Rooney
  • Start date

SmokingPipes.com Updates

2 Fresh Former Pipes
2 Fresh Chris Asteriou Pipes
120 Fresh Peterson Pipes
36 Fresh Ropp Pipes
108 Fresh Brulor Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

C

Corcoran-Rooney

I recently bought some sample packs of aromatics. Mostly I didn't like them, but there was one that I did, Ennerdale Flake (I know opinions are divided on this particular blend). I liked the sample pack because it tasted exactly like what the old timers smoked when I was younger. Growing up in the UK/Ireland, this was always the quintessential tobacco smell. But when I got the tin, I no longer got this taste. And the smell of the tobacco (in the tin) seemed different. Anyone know why?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I received a sample of Briar Fox and found it way too mild, not much taste, but a number of members have named it as a favorite. It could just be different tastes, but I have suspected that the sample batch just wasn't up to the later tins.

An aside: I'm intrigued by the language difference in the title; "different to." In Midwestern American English I've always heard "different from," but that likely sounds a little off to you. Always fun to observe the variations.

Jun 9, 2018
England
I recently bought some sample packs of aromatics. Mostly I didn't like them, but there was one that I did, Ennerdale Flake (I know opinions are divided on this particular blend). I liked the sample pack because it tasted exactly like what the old timers smoked when I was younger. Growing up in the UK/Ireland, this was always the quintessential tobacco smell. But when I got the tin, I no longer got this taste. And the smell of the tobacco (in the tin) seemed different. Anyone know why?
I love Ennerdale and normally buy bulk but I got a tin of it to see if there was a difference and I didn't like it as much. The only reason I could come up with is the bulk has been exposed to the air.
Saying that, whether loose or tinned Ennerdale is one amazing smoke?.

C

Corcoran-Rooney

I received a sample of Briar Fox and found it way too mild, not much taste, but a number of members have named it as a favorite. It could just be different tastes, but I have suspected that the sample batch just wasn't up to the later tins.

An aside: I'm intrigued by the language difference in the title; "different to." In Midwestern American English I've always heard "different from," but that likely sounds a little off to you. Always fun to observe the variations.
It doesn't sound off to me. Now you have said it, it sounds grammatically correct. You give me too much credit, there is no variation in our respective versions of the English language, I'm just a philistine with a very loose grip of the English language lol

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
it is an inconsistent product from what I have heard.

Mar 1, 2014
In my opinion Lakeland blends specifically are very different in a Tin vs. Bulk.
The tin keeps all the essences locked in as if you were getting a flake straight off the press, bulk samples are effectively aired out for weeks or months, so if you don't like the Lakeland Essence then Bulk is better, but if you do then you should probably buy Tins instead.
I'd bet the only way to buy Bulk Ennerdale and keep the "fresh off the press" flavor is buying Plugs.

We need to start a campaign to get Smokingpipes.com carrying more Gawith Hoggarth Plugs.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
This thread is a testimony how different batches of tobacco can vary, here comparing tinned and bulk. But how about saucing? You would think GH would have that down, but Ennerdale's toppings are so many what happens when the veteran saucie isn't available and a n00b is pressed into service?

C

Corcoran-Rooney

In my opinion Lakeland blends specifically are very different in a Tin vs. Bulk.
The tin keeps all the essences locked in as if you were getting a flake straight off the press, bulk samples are effectively aired out for weeks or months, so if you don't like the Lakeland Essence then Bulk is better, but if you do then you should probably buy Tins instead.
I'd bet the only way to buy Bulk Ennerdale and keep the "fresh off the press" flavor is buying Plugs.

We need to start a campaign to get Smokingpipes.com carrying more Gawith Hoggarth Plugs.
We can't really buy that many blends in bulk over here in the UK. Luckily however, we do obviously have plenty of GH blends. But it sounds to me like this tin needs to be aired out. To be honest it does seem overly moist.

C

Corcoran-Rooney

The samples could have come from an older package or one that had been opened for awhile. Leave the freshly opened tin to sit for a month then try it again. If it's like the one tin of Ennerdale Flake I bought and tried, it will still taste like shit.
What? You mean you don't like all that soapy goodness? It's like a bath in my mouth, who needs mouth wash? Lol

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
"Soap" is a term used by those who haven't smoked Lakelands to disparage them. Usually it is found in a group bashing, characteristically with other highly descriptive epithets such as "granny's panties." More than anything else it is a herd mentality term connoting ignorance not challenged by a sincere desire to smoke the tobacco so as to form an independent opinion.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I've had Bob's Choc Flake from a tin and from bulk, the bulk tasted better actually. The tin had the chocolate upfront, which was nice, but I prefered the bulk in which the great tobacco and other toppings were more obvious.

Ennerdale's great, Dark Flake Scented is another sublime smoke, and one I prefer to Ennerdale, strong geranium taste. I think smoking Lakelands is as manly and confident as wearing a pink shirt - which I did quite often before covid, and was regularly complimented on by ladies telling me how sexy a pink shirt looks on a manly man.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
"Soap" is a term used by those who haven't smoked Lakelands to disparage them. Usually it is found in a group bashing, characteristically with other highly descriptive epithets such as "granny's panties." More than anything else it is a herd mentality term connoting ignorance not challenged by a sincere desire to smoke the tobacco so as to form an independent opinion.
I use the term "soap" as a neutral texture descriptor, not a flavor. It's not positive or negative, it's just a texture I get in my mouth when smoking a particular blend. I had a tin of Ashtons Artisan Rainy Day that did this to me, which I threw away because I couldn't take the soapy texture.

It's like putting a little liquid soap in your mouth, the smoke leaves this weird filmy feeling on my tongue and mouth.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
I've had Bob's Choc Flake from a tin and from bulk, the bulk tasted better actually. The tin had the chocolate upfront, which was nice, but I prefered the bulk in which the great tobacco and other toppings were more obvious.

Ennerdale's great, Dark Flake Scented is another sublime smoke, and one I prefer to Ennerdale, strong geranium taste. I think smoking Lakelands is as manly and confident as wearing a pink shirt - which I did quite often before covid, and was regularly complimented on by ladies telling me how sexy a pink shirt looks on a manly man.
Pink may well look good on blokes with olive skin or darker but not on we blond Viking types.
No "manly man" would choose to look like coconut ice [a pink and white homemade confectionary]

One girlfriend bought me a pink shirt as a birthday gift [the look on my face, upon unwrapping said shirt, must have been priceless] "But love, you know I would not ever wear a pink shirt. What the . . ." "It's not pink" came her reply "It's salmon!" :eek:
[We swapped it for a blue one, lol]

I've not ever tried a Lakeland blend. Reading tobacco reviews the most common descriptions are "soap" and "perfume" [usually by smokers who dislike Lakelands to be fair]
Not the sort of flavours that would have most pipe smokers rushing out to buy a tin.

Since I live in Nanny State Australia [where most blends are unobtanium and all are ridiculously priced] I guess I'll go to my grave with it being a mystery.

RookieGuy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2021
Maryland
I use the term "soap" as a neutral texture descriptor, not a flavor. It's not positive or negative, it's just a texture I get in my mouth when smoking a particular blend. I had a tin of Ashtons Artisan Rainy Day that did this to me, which I threw away because I couldn't take the soapy texture.

It's like putting a little liquid soap in your mouth, the smoke leaves this weird filmy feeling on my tongue and mouth.
I get that very same thing. Like a creamy lotion-y soap at a better gas station. Not in a bad way at all, I still like it and will order much more to have on hand. But I do get what the soap detractors are saying. And the weird mouth film.