PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sanzini

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2021
Bristow, VA
Having recently started down he pipe path at (nearly) 50, I've asked myself this question. I enjoy tobacco and have smoked cigarettes and cigars. Still love a good cigar but cigarettes are nasty and I hope to never pick up that habit again. My dad was a pipe smoker for many years so I suppose that has something to do with at least opening the door of interest and curiosity. Since I've been smoking for a few months now I can confidently say that I enjoy the flavor and smell; I enjoy the peace that it brings; I enjoy combining it with a good beverage, be it coffee, beer, or whiskey. I guess I just love smoke in general: campfire, smoked meats, etc.

Also, I am something of a collector and have a tendency to "want it all" when it comes to a new interest. I see how this naturally applies to pipe smoking. I am absorbing all I can about pipe brands and shapes, styles of tobacco, etc., and, well...I want it all. :) My obsessions typically wane over time, but I think this one will be around for a good long while.

As for nicotine, I've never seen myself as a nicotine fiend. With cigarettes it was mostly a social thing, and I've stopped and started several times. I enjoy a good cigar. I enjoy a good tobacco pipe. That's it.

Cheers!

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
I first smoked cigars more than 40 years ago. I had to give them up for more than a decade because of allergy issues. I visited a cigar bar and had a local brewed beer on tap & thought I’d try a cigar. Wonderful ! & no more allergy problems. I was back. - Well after smoking a few cigars with less than satisfying results, guys suggested that I let them rest awhile. It was also suggested that I get a MM cob & some Carter Hall for the 90 days or so that my new cigars were resting, to have something to smoke.- I still enjoy good cigars, but if I were somehow only restricted to one of them now, it’d be pipe smoking.

mark_b

Lurker
Dec 7, 2023
New York
Hello!
For me, smoking a pipe has become a ritual of relaxation. I buy pipe tobacco with a variety of flavors and aromas. For me it is a way of solitude, reflection and relaxation. By nature I am an esthete)) well, this effect of smoking tobacco cannot be felt by anything else.
At work, in a hurry, I usually smoke a vape, I buy a lot of it and I have my own supplies. but smoking a pipe cannot be compared with anything.

Laurent

Lifer
Dec 25, 2021
Michigan
When I was 12 I had my first cigarette, I enjoyed it right off the bat. I didn’t cough or choke, it just clicked. I read that there was a genetic gene that some people have that accepts tobacco or smoking. I can look that up later if need to. I smoked until I was 35 and then one day I just hated it. I didn’t smoke for 3 years. I started missing the act of smoking. The nights out with friends, sitting by a fire, after a good meal and with a good cocktail. I didn’t want to smoke cigarettes again so started smoking cigars. That was good but expensive. One day I saw a man walk out of a building and light a pipe, it just clicked again, I need a pipe. As romantic or crazy as it sounds, my smoking journey led me here. It’s my favorite way to enjoy smoking. It fits every part, for me, the best. I love that it’s the oldest way to smoke, that it’s been apart of history and so many people are involved. It was once sacred and was a form of peace. I love that someone had to get the briar and someone had to make the pipe. Farmers grow the tobacco and people make it flavorful. Cigarettes to me was a quick way to get over being mad or anxiety and I don’t need nicotine. I no longer have these issues and I can now just relax and enjoy something. It’s not a tool for me to deal with things but a character to enjoy.