PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eightywon

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 4, 2014
I like Bear's answer best:

Bear - Bear overheard me asking several other people around the office, so he was ready for his chance to share his own answer: "There's a sense of anticipation when smoking a pipe. Each smoke becomes something you anticipate. It's not the smoke itself, but rather the entire routine: choosing a tobacco, selecting a favorite chair, selecting your favorite pipe. It becomes more than just a smoke; it becomes a part of life that we simply look forward to on a daily basis."

Well said Bear.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Different pipes, different tobaccos, and different smoking situations keep pipes from being just a habit

practiced on automatic pilot, and the fact that is is less expensive than other smoking reinforces the

enjoyment. There is also the pipe-collecting component, the fact that the pipes come from a number of

different nations, artisans, and companies gives it extra context and lore. The different shapes, textures,

and colors of pipes give it a more multi-dimensional component, too. More to like.

glassx7

Lurker
Sep 29, 2014
I agree totally, and for me there is also a little bit more to it. I've always enjoyed the smell of tobacco because I'm from a smoking family. I'm also the type that has tobacco for every pipe, so selecting my current smoke is always fun for me. It is simply more enjoyable than going the the corner shop and asking for a pack of 'insert generic cigarette brand here'.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I totally agree with Bear. There is just something about looking forward to that next pipe. I typically pack 3-5 bowls ahead of time as I smoke flakes, but even knowing what is waiting for me is a thrill. That and the pipe keeps me from going postal on my coworkers. :wink:

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
the fact that is is less expensive than other smoking

Well....it can be.

From the health perspective, and that cannot be underestimated, yeah. pipe smoking is less expensive.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
To me, a mystique I will never quite understand. I love getting new pipes, which surprised me when I started smoking pipes, I love the aesthetics of the pipe itself, and lastly I love the smoking which is nothing like my former addiction to cigarettes. And I am surprised at what a variety of pipes I've discovered I enjoy. Now I'm working on churchwardens: very elegant, very cool and reliable smoke. What's next?

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
It's all about mechanics. I like the pipe smoking routine just as I like working with old bamboo fly rods and my old 1971 MBG-GT. Making things work...

Status
Not open for further replies.