PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

maduroman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 15, 2010
fight the powa! stick it to the man! you be in collage so rebel! :twisted:
i started because i wanted to and even go to the doc with my pipe. he has given up after i told him i intend to die happy and that means smoking a pipe and a bit of scotch when i want it...

chopsie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2012
After finding that e-cigs were not going to help me cut down on my cigarette intake I decided that I would give smoking a pipe a chance and it reminds me of my grandfather.

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
I think I was on youtube looking "how to make a copper pipe manifold for a mash tun" and one link led to another. Youtube is the culprit for most of my hobbies for the last few years.

helm

Lurker
Nov 1, 2012
I have been smoking most of my adult life. I enjoy smoking, the act and feel of it. The reason I decided to try pipes was because if I was going to smoke my whole life then I should also enjoy the taste of it.
Sure enjoying the switch over from cigarettes.

kasbah

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 26, 2012
I've been a argileh (hookah) smoker for a while, since before it was allowed I suppose but it is widely acceptable in my culture so I was exposed to it at a young age. Around 16 I smoked a cigar here and there with my older brother and his friends and at 18 I started smoking cigarettes. I guess it was just the natural progression of my growing affinity for tobacco that turned me to pipe smoking.
I would say lately I have got much more into pipes and now have what I consider to be a large selection of blends and 2 pipes. I'm sure that is going to grow a lot more soon as I'm purchasing a Stanwell this week and even more tobacco which is really ludicrous as I have enough to last me almost a year as is 8O It's all worth it though; I've been 9 days without a cigarette!

yaboofive

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2010
I have always been drawn to pipes as far back as I can remember,one of the first things i did when i was in the military was find a tobacconist and get a pipe. 10 years later I a nice collection of pipes and a good stash of tobacco.

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
I was about 5 years old ,i will never forget the smell of this man smoking his pipe

from that day i was hooked .so when i turned 16 i got my frist pipe dr.grabow and some 1/2 & 1/2. :puffy:

wulvern

Lurker
Jul 14, 2012
At college in 1968 myself and some friends aged 19/20 thought it would be cool to smoke pipes. I had a small Peterson system pipe which I didn't know how to fill properly and, after 3 months of appalling tongue bite smoking Dutch aromatics , St Bruno, and what I now know to be the fabled Sobranie Balkan, I gave up and went back to cigarettes.
In 2005, having not smoked at all for about 15 years, I had an inexplicable urge to try pipe smoking again. I still don't understand where this came from. This time, with the benefit of the internet I was able to find info on how to fill a pipe, suitable tobaccos for beginners etc. As there was no longer a tobacconist on every corner, as there had been in 1968, I went on the internet and bought a Magic Inch pipe from EA Carey in Guernsey, and a pack of Captain Black 'Blue' and necessary accessories from a site in England and was hooked. I now have 15 assorted pipes and smoke various English blends and VaPers.

yahcela

Lurker
Jul 8, 2012
Logan, Utah
Many of the same reasons already listed. Grandfather. Mark Twain. Like the aroma. But most of all, it's the ritual. Taking time out for myself to sit quietly, either in the morning trying to get psyched up for work, or calming down in the evening, sitting in the yard watching the moon rise over the mountains. I feel a connection to generations of men who have enjoyed the same thing.

scottn

Lurker
Nov 1, 2012
smoking a pipe has always been something I knew i would do because my grandfather smoked one. The smell brings back some of my fondest memories of childhood spent with grandpa at his home on the lake. As I grew older and grew more artistic and eclectic my feeling of smoking a pipe became solidified. But back then I thought I would not smoke until I was a grandfather myself. I have smoked cigars with friends on rare occasions but I just turned 39 this year, cut my hippie hair (that i had been growing for a year) and started wearing sport coats at work (wear i do graphic design) and on of my colleagues said "you look very professerol, you just need a pipe" and I thought "your right i do need a pipe" so I found this forum learned a thing or two and promptly forgot them all when i impulsively walked into the B&M and bought a M&T pipe and some Atlandis bulk tobaccos. I really love the fact that smoking a pipe take work and practice to get full appreciation out of it, very much like my other hobbies of scale model building and beer brewing, etc.

brassonly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2012
Wow what can I say, I am really enjoying reading these posts. Its very interesting to read the many reasons why different folks started smoking pipe. As for me I must say that I have very found memories of one of my Uncles smoking his pipe when I was just a young boy. The aroma of the tobacco always amazed me. Back then there was a fair amount of old men who would just seem to enjoy sitting back to relax after a hard days work while enjoying a bowl together. I still see it in my mind & remember how relaxed they were while smoking that sweet smelling tobacco and those memories have always stayed with me. I am now in my early 50`s and have never smoked in my life but this fall after about 10 years of thinking about it I decided it was time for me to give it a try. So with the help of internet sites like this one I ordered myself a my first pipe & a variety of tobacco & took the plunge. Got myself a nice Peterson St. Patricks day 2012 model & have been enjoying tremendously . Funny thing is I am now the old man smoking the Pipe. One other thing is I am also very blessed that a very good friend of mine also decided to get himself a pipe so we now both really enjoy sitting back together to share a bowl & relax

as often as we can.The variety of tobacco available really amazes me & so far I have only been able to try 8 different blends but with time I hope to be able to continue to add many more tobacco blends to my collection.Different people have asked me why I started smoking now for the first time in my life and I just tell them it was time for me to just learn to sit back & relax while enjoying some of this amazing fantastic smelling tobacco. Its only been a short time for me so far but I think I will enjoy this for many years to come.

olewaylon

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2012
I was a cigar smoker for a long time and thought it would be nice to have a smoke without the investment of a $5-$8 cigar everytime. we had a really cool little smoke shop in my college town that had a bunch of baccy and a scale where you weigh out your own. i bought a cheap grabow and a couple of ounces and never looked back.

smokeystover

Might Stick Around
Sep 20, 2012
I guess I always knew I'd smoke a pipe. My dad was a collector and competitive slow smoker. Some of my fondest childhood memories are of Saturday afternoons spent at the Tobacconist with my dad, while he had a few of his stems buffed out, and shared a bowl or two with the boys. I started smoking cigarettes in high school and switched to a pipe in college.

timely

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 23, 2012
Much better then the so called cancer sticks, also very tasty. All round a wonderful part of my life

whitebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2010
all the old geezers smoke pipes when i was a kid--i wanted to be like them--i'm still trying--

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The real reason I started was because a cigar buddy bugged the crap out of me until I tried it. I grew up with a grandfather who smoked a pipe and my dad did on occasion so I figured why not. I am certainly glad I did try it, because it is my favorite way to enjoy tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.