PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
First, I didn't smoke pipes so as not to imitate my dad. Later I didn't smoke pipes so as not to imitate my professors. As a child, I did the usual sneak smoking of cigarettes, turned green, and never smoked cigarettes much. My first, late wife smoked cigarettes heavily, so I eventually bought a pipe and tobacco, and smoked moderately. Later when my wife quit, I quit to reinforce her effort. After she was gone, I picked it up again when I bought a hand-carved pipe at the state fair, and more regularly when my second wife was in rehab after hip surgery complications, as a way to center myself in the evening when I didn't really want to drink alcohol. When I started with a pipe, I had all the moves down cold, from watching my dad as a kid.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
My father's old Dr. Grabow.
I had quit the cigs for over a year and, thru one of my friends, had started on the occasional good cigar. One cold December day, I was rambling thru my closet and found his old whiskey crate still filled with his last treasures. And that's when I found the Grabow.
Curiosity, and a bit of reverance, tells the rest of the tale.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I bought one box of little cigars from P&C. Months later, they sent me a $50 credit due to some system wide problem they had during the time of my initial purchase. Whatever the problem was, it didn't affect me.
However, I then had to find a way to spend $50, so I got a pipe and tobacco. One might assume that I got over on them, but it was they who got over.
My expenditures with them have long since dwarfed their initial "investment".
c3.jpg

c1.jpg

jars-600x337.jpg

jay-roger.jpg

nunnster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 17, 2019
I honestly couldn't really tell you why I picked it up, maybe because my great grandfather always smoked a pipe and I wish I was older so I could of got to know him better and it's a way to connect with that, maybe because all my favorite movies growing up featured people smoking pipes in them (Alice in wonderland, 101 dalmatians etc) maybe because many people I admire smoked pipes (Albert Einstein, Mark Twain, Walt Disney). Maybe because I believe it's a way to call back of by gone era, reminiscent of simpler times. Maybe because I love history and find the history of the pipe and tobacco fascinating. Maybe because I find people who smoke pipes share some common personality traits I find amiable, or a host of other reasons why I may have picked it up. But the one thing I'm sure of is why I keep at it, as I sit on my back porch with a nice Va and a glass of beer, and that's because I enjoy it. I love the flavor(s) that tobacco gives and the humble pipe allows me to sit and ponder questions just like this. I believe it's made me a better man and a better, more thoughtful person. And that's enough for me.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I have always felt drawn towards pipe smoking. Never did it though, until a couple of years ago when I decided to quit smoking cigarettes. So I started, but didn't succeed with quitting the nails until about six weeks ago. The last one was smoked on the night of my wedding after the - well nevermind. Anyway, it all seems to fall into place now.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I was in the Marines, and all noncoms in my company had to take turns manning our BEQ's desk overnight because it was a 24 hour "must answer" thing. And you better not be caught sleeping! :lol:
I mentioned how boring it was to my dad one time when home on leave--he was a pipe smoker---and he said "Well... You've got a birthday coming up. Come with me." And off to his favorite tobacco shop we went.
Carl Ehwa was the store's clerk that day (no, I'm not kidding), and I got set up with two pipes and two cans of tobacco by him.
Never looked back. :D

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I started pipe smoking to get off cigarettes, but it didn't work. I still smoke cigarettes, but a lot less, because I enjoy the taste of pipe tobacco a lot more.

twiggy

Might Stick Around
Jun 25, 2019
Niagara Falls
I mainly started because I assessed that in the long run, after you buy a pipe and tobacco, and have a few smokes, the cost is much less than constantly buying cigars. Especially in Canada. So essentially, cost effectiveness.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
quite smoking cigarettes in 2007, picked up a good cigar per day. Cut that back to a good cigar per week, per month, every few months, etc. Eventually got to the point (career and family, etc) that a whole cigar just took too much time and always felt like too much nicotine, so I decided to give the pipe a try. Only took a few bowls to set me off, and I've had PAD/TAD ever since.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
georged, it sounds like you went to Diebel’s. I frequented it a lot in my early piping days.
I was always interested in how the history of tobacco intertwined with the rest of history. Additionally, i had an uncle who was a pipe smoker. I loved the smell and, as a child, a pipe smoker appeared more “intellectual’.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
georged, it sounds like you went to Diebel’s.
Bingo. :D
For anyone not familiar with Carl by name, you likely know him by what he created: The McClelland Tobacco Company (he was a co-founder)
He also authored this landmark book:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/132977231042

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
When I started smoking I was too young to buy cigarettes legally, but in those socially relaxed days I could buy pipe tobacco by claiming that I was on an errand for my dad -- and they bought it!

Or rather, I did. :lol:

filmshooter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2017
My overall dislike of everything modern and the movie White Christmas. Cigarettes, to me, are like cheap beer, drank fast and hard to get loaded. The pipe seemed more relaxed and refined, with more of a purpose.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I liked the looks of a pipe and I liked fiddling with 1. That's still 1 of the biggest reasons I still smoke them.

bayareabriar

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2019
Has to be the history of the pipes, the smell of the tobacco, the routine of smoking.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I just always loved the aroma of a lit pipe. I somehow always knew that I would end up a pipe smoker. My main excuse to take the plunge was to quit dipping... a decade later, now I’m dipping and smoking a pipe, however, I much prefer smoking a pipe, so I smoke anytime that I can and dip when I can’t. I certainly don’t even want to think about how much money I’ve spent on tobacco over the years. I still “plan” on giving up the dip but I will never, I mean NEVER give up the pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.