PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I love when people ask me why I smoke a pipe. The answer is because it's very enjoyable and very relaxing. It's kind of amazing the amount of stress it can wash away. And when you have that perfect smoke it's impossible to explain the levels of bliss one can attain. Personally I started smoking a pipe because tobacco is great and I wanted to enjoy it as many ways as I could. Ironically I'am kind of a peacock and show boat exhibitionist and yet never really saw the pipe that way. Kind of like I never saw eating a candy bar that way.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I agree with the article to a degree and it was likely appropriate for the time. I have found tobacco provides a number of things or pleasures described in the article. I have always simply enjoyed smoking. I've evolved to where a pipe is the optimal vehicle for providing the tobacco enjoyment as well as several of the other elements mentioned in the old article.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
What confounds ME, is that I didn't catch on to the pipe the first 3 or 4 times I tried smoking one.
As a young man, I'd picked up a pipe and tobacco to try to change it up from smoking cigarettes. I didn't take the time to think about what I was doing, relating all my experience as a cigarette smoker to the pipe.

Better late than never.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
that makes me wonder something.... How many hours after he's passed away will ChasingEmbers pipe still be going?
I'm getting cremated so there's that. Also if I have enough prior knowledge that I'm getting ready to kick, I want to eat a jar of unpopped pop corn just for the prank value as I get cooked.

1eaO.gif

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I first took up the pipe in the early '70s when I was at university, so the first part is mostly true.
When I took up the pipe again a few years ago, my wife had become very intolerant of tobacco smoke/odour. So other than coming out to the verandah or backyard to see if I'd like a cup of tea or coffee, I get to spend a couple of hours of solitude to read the papers, ponder the mysteries of the universe, chill out - whatever.
It's my down time and wonderfully calming and therapeutic.
Sam Sharron nailed it in 1946 !

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Honestly I don’t know. I remember keeping an Apple slice in my pouch of chew (AppleJack Redman?) playing little league in 1975. Later, in the Army, Copenhagen spun the earth for me ??. I’ve never smoked cigarettes. Didn’t try a pipe until early 90’s. Been off and on off and on. Last 5-6 years, in retirement I rediscovered it and the relaxation and flavor can’t be beat. I’m not addicted to nicotine. Not my personality. I enjoy it once daily with morning coffee or on a nice day for an hour’s peace. While I’ll grab a cigar or drink socially, the Pipe is a pleasure I’ll do alone.

Reactions: UncleRasta
May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
Love the article. When I turned 40 I was searching for something I could have all my own. In the hustle of life I was also looking for something that would help relax my mind. I have always been drawn to ? s prior to 1970. Often you’d find a chap smoking a pipe and that very much appealed to me. Barry Fitzgerald was my man. ☺️ The one thing I notice now is that when I smoke a bowl most times things slow down just enough for me to take stock. Piping has given me opportunity to manage daily life as most days I light a bowl up...it’s all good.?☕