PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Because I get to smoke what I want, when I want it. Because I can open a tin of McClelland, or McCranie's when I want it, and I didn't have to sell a kidney to afford a tin. Because I can smoke a tin of real Escudo, instead of STG's "version". Because I can enjoy aged tobaccos that improve with age.

Hey man, that’s just too much. You need to calm down. There are newbies on this forum.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Once I learnt enough to be able to smoke a pipe and enjoy it, and pick out the notes I read about I smoked nothing but Dunhill Nightcap for a few years. When it went away I nearly quit pipe smoking because in my ignorance I thought there're no other tobaccos I'd like.

I don't want that to repeat, even more so that I've sampled some more blends, or blend types, which I love. So I now buy more than I can smoke in order to know that I have some depth of smoking ahead of me. The ageing factor is a bonus, not a driver of cellaring.

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
To answer the question, just look at what happened in Denmark. 30% tax increase on tobacco starting this April. California was also recently hit with two new tobacco taxes in the span of two years (might have been three or four years; feel free to correct me on this, but still, it’s pretty crazy).

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I started doing it when I got in the old Yahoo Pipesmokers2 group, because of folks talking about Virginia blends, in particular, improving when aged. The Marlboro Protection Act, as then Senator Mike Enzi referred to it, was nowhere on the horizon. Nobody was hording. Nobody was thinking about McClelland's closing up. It was fairly easy to order just about anything you want. And I discovered that, yes indeed, aging does do marvelous things for Virginia blends.

That's why I do it. And that's why I keep adding, in moderate quantities - not to sell, or trade, or any other reason. I've never been one of those "I gotta try everything, and I have to buy 6 tins of this blend I never smoked before, because everyone is raving about it" smokers. To each his own. puffy

Three reasons I cellar tobacco
1. I aspire to smoke tins which I aged myself some day
2. I like looking at the tins
3. I like buying them - It’s fun!

Three reasons I BELIEVE are BAD reasons
1. I don’t intend to sell tobacco ever. Even if I did, I don’t think tobacco is an investment
2. I believe as long as smoking tobacco is legal, I will be able to buy them. I don’t cellar for the reason that tobacco cannot be purchased in the future
3. My mathematics tells me (Power of compounding) - While tobacco is getting more expensive, money invested in a suitable portfolio grows faster in MOST cases. So to me the logic - tobacco is cheaper today does not make sense. Yes tobacco is cheaper today than in the future- but if I invested the money instead, I will be able to buy the same tobacco in the future if it’s available at a higher price and have change left over in my pocket.

Status
Not open for further replies.