PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

carcosa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2013
So as I mentioned in a previous post, I am fairly new to cigars, though I have been smoking a pipe for 6 or 7 years. Around the age of 23 I got what turned out to be a 1 to 2 pack a day cigarette habit which I gladly kicked in 2006 at the age of 33. I picked up the pipe in 2013, and what a completely different experience to smoke for pleasure and not for the nic fix. Recently in the past month or 2 I tried some cigars which I have been enjoying more than my pipe.

So I started out at my local tobaccanist with an unbanded very dark San Lotano oval. They were 10 bucks bucks a piece or 7 for $50. I really enjoyed the smoke so for 2 weeks I picked up a pack of 7. I tried a couple other brands like Camacho Triple Maduro ( a whopping $17+ at the cigar bar) and a Perdomo amongst others. I bought a 100 count humidor, but was thinking I cant afford to be smoking cigars at this price once or twice a day, so I looked for something cheaper.

I found a 5 pack of Sancho Panza Extra Fuerte for about $4 a piece, and really enjoyed them although not quite as good as the San Lotano, I enjoyed the spice. So then I ordered a few times from my goto Pipes and Cigars with a 20% coupon and ended up with about 115 cigars including a 27 box of Romeo y Julieta reserve (very mild and creamy and NO spice), and 2 boxes of Sancho Panza as well as 5 of those Camacho, 5 Trinidad Sanntiago, 3 Java, 1 Cohiba black and a box of Villizon Maduro.

After smoking maybe 4 or 5 more Sancho Panza, I have been getting too much of that spice and now taste it in the Villizon, and the San Lotano. I’m thinking of going out on a limb and getting a box of the Trinidad Santiago... that was such a great smoke... I think after taking a short break from the spicier cigars I will start enjoying them again, and I will let my Sancho Panza sit in the humidor a while.

Any suggestions for a good medium to full flavored cigar that is not so spicey? One under $6 and one around $10? I think that box of Romeo Reserve came out to about $6 per cigar but it is very mild.

I am in the honeymoon phase with cigars and will probably just settle down to 1 a day soon. I picked up a bottle of Flor de Cana 18 rum and plan on bringing it in to the cigar shop for a smoke and a drink tomorrow with some friends.

Last edited:

BlueMaxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2020
Indiana
About the only cigar I really liked was an Acid Kuba Maduro and Acid Blondie....and they are infused and sweet...most real cigar smokers guffaw at people who smoke them....silly purist.

Just not a cigar kind of guy...not too mention the cost, Ill stick with a pipe...but good luck on the hunt.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Haha well ignore all my recs from the previous post...

I'm not a huge fan of CT wrappers, but there are some with Nicaraguan guts that are creamy and mellow but still have lots of flavor. Warped La Colmena, Illusione Rothchilds CT. Its a Corojo wrapper, but not a spicy one in the Illusione Fume D' Amor, which is a killer smoke without any spicy ligero leaf. If you can handle an initial hit of Pepin spice, Flor de las Antillas is a delightful and creamy cigar. Oliva Serie G.

In terms of Dominicans, very few Fuentes are spicy. I'm partial to the Rosado Sungrown Magnum R line, myself. ..

Most Habanos, if you have access, will be on the milder side in terms of spice.

Reactions: odobenus

carcosa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2013
Haha well ignore all my recs from the previous post...

I'm not a huge fan of CT wrappers, but there are some with Nicaraguan guts that are creamy and mellow but still have lots of flavor. Warped La Colmena, Illusione Rothchilds CT. Its a Corojo wrapper, but not a spicy one in the Illusione Fume D' Amor, which is a killer smoke without any spicy ligero leaf. If you can handle an initial hit of Pepin spice, Flor de las Antillas is a delightful and creamy cigar. Oliva Serie G.

In terms of Dominicans, very few Fuentes are spicy. I'm partial to the Rosado Sungrown Magnum R line, myself. ..

Most Habanos, if you have access, will be on the milder side in terms of spice.
Im not a big fan of CT wrappers either, they seem too mild, but I dont know what kind of wrapper that Santiago had but it was a delicious full flavored cigar without the spice from what i can remember from the one I smoked...Im looking into Sun Grown and Habano maybe. Instead of getting a box of 20 I might try 4 5 packs of some different stuff

Reactions: danimalia

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Alec Bradley Prensado is usually about $10. Less if you find a sale or buy a 5 pack or box.

Flor de Las Antilles is a couple bucks less

Both are fantastic.

Under $3 is Nica Libre. Not the most complex cigar but still good for the price.

For a little more than your budget you should treat yourself to a Liga Privada T52 occasionally. Have a full meal first but this is one of the best cigars on the planet including Cubans, IMO.

Reactions: danimalia

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
Just looked it up. The Trnidad Santiago was made by Tabacalera Tropical in the DR. That's actually an awesome factory. They do a lot of great cigars focused on Dominican leaf. Fuller in flavor than most Fuentes, but not too spicy usually. One of my favorites is La Galera. They have a regular "habano" version which is awesome as is the 1936 box press. I don't remember them being super spicy, but they're definitely full flavor. You might check out the Matilde Renacer from Tropical as well.

You may just want to stay away from most Nicaraguan cigars at the moment since they tend to be the most pepper-spicy, pound for pound.

Reactions: odobenus

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
Just looked it up. The Trnidad Santiago was made by Tabacalera Tropical in the DR. That's actually an awesome factory. They do a lot of great cigars focused on Dominican leaf. Fuller in flavor than most Fuentes, but not too spicy usually. One of my favorites is La Galera. They have a regular "habano" version which is awesome as is the 1936 box press. I don't remember them being super spicy, but they're definitely full flavor. Reasonable price, too. You might check out the Matilde Renacer from Tropical as well.

You may just want to stay away from most Nicaraguan cigars at the moment since they tend to be the most pepper-spicy, pound for pound

Status
Not open for further replies.