PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
I have been trying to get some info on this pipe for some time. I bought it on EBay several years ago for next to nothing, cleaned it up and it has become one of my favorite pipes. The only markings on it is on the silver. Nothing is stamped on the pipe. Any info you can give is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Pipe Pic #1.jpgPipe Pic #2.jpg

Attachments

• Pipe Pic #3.jpg
    Pipe Pic #3.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: FLDRD

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
That is a metal mark by the band maker, and not a pipe maker's stamp. I have a pipe with the same metal mark. The only thing I can tell you is that the pipe wasn't made in America.
I thought that too. I was fishing in the dark hoping someone in the forum might recognize the markings. It was not in the best of shape when I got it, but it sure is a good smoker now.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
That is a metal mark by the band maker, and not a pipe maker's stamp. I have a pipe with the same metal mark. The only thing I can tell you is that the pipe wasn't made in America.
A very nice bent billiard with diamond shank. I'm very drawn to those
A nickel (EP) rather than sterling silver band.
With no other stamps, it's anyone's guess who the maker is.
Unfortunately

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I’m no Pro here, but after a little digging around.

I found pipes banded SIV listed as a Hardcastle.

Even this one listed on SPC shows the same hallmark stamp as a Hardcastle. It’s hard to see the stamp clearly, but you can see the same V style on it.

Reactions: FLDRD and WVOldFart

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV

Even this one listed on SPC shows the same hallmark stamp as a Hardcastle. It’s hard to see the stamp clearly, but you can see the same V style on it.

The band makers mark looks the same. Thanks for digging around. It possibly could be a Hardcastle.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I think bands like that were made in the thousands. I have seen that mark on many, many different makes and models of pipes that have clear makers stamps. Mostly on pipes I have looked at on ebay. I think they were mass produced and distributed to many different pipe shops and repairmen. I have seen the same questioned asked a number of times on this forum.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com

The band is a European aftermarket band, used for repairs or adding a bit of bling. Nothing specific to Hardcastle.