PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoppes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2017
No fair checking Pipedia !! Pipe marked Sullivan Powell. Made by Hand. No other markings. Has a double drilled shank?? Expert says it is made of top notch Grecian briar.
Hoppes
Before:

Sullivan Powell 3.jpgUpshall Powell.jpg
Sullivan Powell 4.jpg
After:
IMG_1085.JPG
IMG_1087.JPG
IMG_1088.JPG
IMG_1089.JPG
IMG_1081.JPG

Aug 1, 2012
It looks like a handmade house pipe by the Sullivan Powell Tobacco shop in Burlington Arcade, London. Absent shape numbers and further stamping, that's my take on it. Looks well made if not a known maker.

Beautiful pipe though.

EDIT: After reading the pipedia article and looking at the stamping, as well as the grain, shaping and button, I'm a bit skeptical it's made by the one mentioned in the article. Completely possible though.

Last edited:
Reactions: samuelgawith01

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
There was a really good pipe shop in Burlington Arcade in London years ago. I last wandered through the place in 2017 and all I seem to remember were loads of over priced antique sellers. You have a very nice pipe there that has cleaned up nicely.

hoppes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2017
Ken Barnes was nice enough to comment on this pipe. He personally sold pipes to Sullivan Powell in the '80's. The manager at the time at the Burlington Arcade store was Harry Horowitz. Upshall sold their own pipes to Sullivan as well as making their store pipes. Ken thinks this was one of their store pipes from the early eighties since it has Upshall's engarving that they did with a Pantograph engraving machine. Upshall also marked the store pipes with the Made By Hand on the right side of the pipe. Ken said these were made from Grecian Arta briar from the Arta Company in northern Greece. They ordered cross grain blocks to make Canadian pipes so this was probably cut down because of a defect in the shank. The Arta briar was the best quality in the 80's. Thanks Ken for the great history. Nice Upshall pipe for less than $25.00 !!

guylesss

Can't Leave
May 13, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
A terrific find, a beautiful job of bringing the pipe back to life, and excellent detective work.

I've dim memories of visiting their shop (and that of Balkan Sobranie too) as a teenager at a minor English boarding school. And I must say it is hard to believe how civilized the world of London tobacconists once was.

I too happen to be the proud owner of a Sullivan and Powell pipe (a large, almost unsmoked Canadian), that I thought an irresistible bargain ($53 including post), pretty much ignored on Ebay about ten years ago.

I'm inclined to think mine may be a bit earlier than yours. It has somewhat different nomenclature (which includes the shop's full name and address, the legend "London Made," and "815"--which I presume to be a model number). And my provisional guess has been GBD--a maker I know little about (notwithstanding Greg Pease's eloquent praise in "Pieces from my Collection").

In any event, thanks so much for posting this--it's renewed my curiosity--even though I may now be wishing I'd also socked away a few tins of Gentleman's Mixture to keep the pipe company.

Attachments

• SP Can 1.jpg
    SP Can 1.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 6
  • SP Can nomen 1.jpg
    SP Can nomen 1.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 7
  • SP Can Nomen 2.jpg
    SP Can Nomen 2.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 7
Status
Not open for further replies.