PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
The Christchurch earthquake in 2011 destroyed the factory that produced marmite (NZ). Sealed jars of it were selling at crazy prices on the consignment market - like 100g of FM would be cheaper. It was proposed to send the production across the ditch to an Australian manufacturer, and our nation staged a boycott. No Aussie made marmite for us please!

“Marmaggedon” lasted for 2 years and when the product was finally re-introduced there was a strict 2 jar limit at supermarkets.

In UK, it’s called NZ-mite and it’s illegal in Denmark.

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
I know it used to be made by Kraft. But I heard it's now being made by Bega Cheese or something.

View attachment 78273
I'd forgotten about; yes Bega Cheese bought it back as I think Kraft found it a bit of a hot potato; continued tales of tampering with the recipe (I've no idea if they did or didn't) meant suddenly lots of rival Aussie brands started up and they were losing sales.

Bega Cheese buying it back was a good thing IMHO. Now if only I could find some in São Paulo... ...I need to go to the Aussie consulate sometime about authenticating some documents; I'll ask them if they know where to get (of course, they'll have their own 'diplomatic' supply so probably won't have a clue) ?

Reactions: BROBS and bullet08

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Agree. Toast and PB for me just like grandpa

pretty sure I used something like vegemite on the last wheel bearings I installed.
My wife asked me how I eat toast with peanut butter because it’s so “dry”. It’s delicious with coffee. Not “dry” to me because on the warm toast the PB kind of melts and gets all moist.

giggity.

Reactions: Country Bladesmith

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
He just smiled and gave me a vegemite, sandwich...

Men_At_Work_-_Down_Under_Official_Video.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.