PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Yep it’s good alright but still fails to live up to the glory of true Marmite!...NZ marmite, not that bollocks made in England.
Haha, that's a nice one! Australian people I met in the UK used to claim Vegemite is different from Marmite. I fail to see the difference.
I actually like Marmite on buttered toast. Once I brought a jar home, asked my wife to try it and she nearly threw it at me. Said this is an industrial waste product from Chernobyl.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
Tried it once, back in high school when we had an Australian FE student. He was wild. Anyway, he played us and told us you glob it on and spread it thick, like how Americans dump ranch dressing on everything. It tasted awful and he laughed at us.

Later I learned that it’s supposed to be spread pretty thinly, but I’ve never been able to find it and give it another go.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
You had me nodding up until that line. English marmite is why sliced bread is the benchmark for awesomeness.
But have you tried the NZ stuff?!?

English marmite...or “our mite” as its marketed is here is good. I’m just ball busting. It is much smoother in flavour and texture than the kiwi stuff, which is thicker, spicier, darker and reeks (in a good way).

Does anybody whip their marmite and butter together prior to spreading?

I think all 3 spreads are quite different from each other.

Also fun fact. If you make a sammie with Brittish marmite and honey, the two flavours can be tasted separately at the same time. Mind blowing shit that is.

Anyways, breakfast time.

image.jpg

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Never had Marmite. Then again, I want to try Bovril.
Had a jar given by a friend who brought it to Sydney all the way from the UK a few years ago. It didn't taste like the Bovril I grew up with - in fact it tasted suspiciously like Marmite. Looking at the back label, I found that because of Mad Cow Disease, Bovril was now a yeast extract, rather than beef. Most disappointing. ?

You can always try Bonox, the Aussie alternative.

Reactions: bullet08 and Ahi Ka

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
I was brought up on (British) Marmite but then I lived in Oz for 10 years...

Now the question when referring to Vegemite is, which brand are you talking about? The one that Kraft took over and as is their way seemed to play around with the recipe or one of the other 6(?) that I recall seeing in the supermarkets in Sydney?

That said; I actually prefer Vegemite to Marmite but I'll settle for a jar of Marmite if I can find one because my supplies have long since run out (and I'm getting desperate...).

Scrambled eggs on Vegemite on toast - the breakfast of the gods
Soft boiled eggs with Vegemite (or Marmite when I was a lad) soldiers for dipping - for me the ultimate comfort food

Apologies to the Kiwi element; I never tried NZ Marmite although I do recall seeing it on the shelf in Harris Foods Market and even I seem to recall in Woolworths.

Now a little story...

My now wife first went to England when she was 19 and worked as an Au Pair. For her first family one duty was to collect the two children (5 -7 age group) from school and give them some tea, toast and marmite to keep them going until the parents got home from work.

Coming from Brazil she had no idea what Marmite was - everything for kids here has way way too much sugar - although she had instructions to spread it thinly for the kids she decided to treat herself to a thick layer of it on toast... ...she still hadn't recovered when I first met her 5 years later. But with careful training and perseverance she's the only Brazilian I've ever met (including those in UK and Australia - and there are a lot in both countries) who actually likes Marmite (she does actually prefer Marmite to Vegemite but there again she prefers tea to coffee so is definitely a bit weird). (She married me which just goes to prove she's a bit weird.)

When I lived in Sydney and was travelling to the US and other places for work I used to appreciate that you could buy small toothpaste sized tubes of Vegemite at the airport stores - it was a life saver when working in the US - something savoury for breakfast! The only place I ever found it in the US was the Virgin Australia lounge at LAX.

True story; mate of mine was also a regular traveller to the US from Sydney for work and had learnt not to pack stuff that might 'interest' customs or the food and agriculture people. One time he was travelling with his wife and unbeknown to him she'd picked some essential supplies at the airport. When she got to the US she declared them much to his annoyance so had to see the customs official who asked what she had.

"Some savoury spread and chocolate biscuits" came her reply

"So how many tubes of Vegemite and packets of TamTams have you got" aked the customs official much to their surprise. He smiled and then went on: "I've been dealing with the Australian flights for 10 years now" and just cleared them through without actually checking anything.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Haha, that's a nice one! Australian people I met in the UK used to claim Vegemite is different from Marmite. I fail to see the difference.
I actually like Marmite on buttered toast. Once I brought a jar home, asked my wife to try it and she nearly threw it at me. Said this is an industrial waste product from Chernobyl.
It is an industrial waste product ?

• Haha
Reactions: Ahi Ka
Status
Not open for further replies.