PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
Karamazov may indeed be the greatest novel of all time, but Crime and Punishment is my personal favorite.
I feel the same. I first read C&P when I was about twelve and have reread it half a dozen times. The Brothers K, I happened to pick up and start reading when I was in St. Petersburg in 2006, but I had the Andrew McAndrew translation (Bantam), which I now realize is not quite faithful. I started reading the translation by Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky over the summer this year. Maybe it's common knowledge, but that's the one to get.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I had many favorite writers when I was younger but have been too busy to really break down and read - I will be changing that shortly.

What I have noticed lately is that many writers that I thought were decent, actually aren't that great. My daughter is in college and I assist her with her literature homework more than I care to do. It means I end up reading many of the great living authors of today anew and with the perspective of now being almost 60 years old and many years of teaching experience.

I must say, reading their works again, I find myself thinking that much of their works could have been written by high school seniors today. I realize that what we thought was insightful thinking today is the mambe pambe crybaby stuff of young people today.

What came first, the chicken or the egg.

Sam Gamgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
It'll be Tolkien for me, currently listening to the Rob Inglis audiobooks for the second time this year, though a member here called Sam Gamgee (Heh) recommended Andy Serkis' narration of The Hobbit.
I definitely recommend a listen to Serkis reading THE HOBBIT. I tried his readings of The LOTR but went back to Inglis after only a few chapters.

Reactions: cragdhack

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
If “current favorite writer” means one’s favorite writer, at the parent time, as opposed to favorite current writer, I’d pick Dostoyevsky, hands down.
There can't be a discussion of greatest authors without Dostoyevsky bubbling up to the top. He's probably my favourite of all time. There are so many other dead authors worthy of mentioning, but when it comes to current living authors, that's a tough one, because like with music, the best stuff is mostly in the past. You can't compete with hundreds of years of history. I wish I had more time to read novels these days, but in terms of living authors I've enjoyed reading recently:

Kazuo Ishiguro
Yann Martel

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
Arthur Conan Doyle and Rex Stout.
I would say a favorite writer is one whose works you revisit often. I am constantly rereading the Sherlock Holmes and Nero Wolfe stories. I also re-read Christopher Morley's Parnassus on Wheels and The Haunted Bookshop during the winter holidays each year.
Of more modern writers, I like Sara Paretsky and the late Robert B. Parker.
As a retired Chicago Public School Teacher-Librarian I read tons of Kiddie Lit over the years and have many favorites.
But really, as I have thousands of books in my personal library, it would be impossible to nail down a "favorite" writer.
So many books, so little time.

ckcutler

Lurker
Dec 29, 2021
Michigan
William Faulkner, dove in during the pandemic. Great storytelling and an incredibly gifted writer (only Pulitzer Prize winner for literature from Mississippi).
Some language may trouble today’s world citizens, but not a racist….

Reactions: edger

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
My current favorite writer?

I'll forgo the favorite word and phrase my answer thusly:

Currently I'm enjoying Daphne du Maurier's writing more than others.

K.E. Powell

Can't Leave
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
Not to derail the tread, but I've been meaning to ask someone who may be able to help with this question, and the number of Dostoevesky fans here suggests I just may find someone that can help.

Simply put, which English translation of "Brothers Karamazov" is best? I enjoyed "Crime & Punishment" when I read it in college, but I couldn't help but feel the prose may have been dumbed down with the paperback edition I was reading at the time (I think it was a Cambridge edition, but I am not certain). I have an old hardcover edition of BK that was translated by a Princess Kropotkin, but the book's prose is wooden and a bit of a slog, though I am not qualified to know if it is the fault of the translator or something else.

I used to actually know a little Russian; in fact, in true Russian fashion, my Russian language professor "elected" me president of our school's Russian club. Sadly, with no one to speak with and no one to go over the language with me, I lost what little grasp of the language I once had. But I remember vividly the, for lack of better term, nature of the Russian language: it was workmanlike yet complex at the same time, where statements would often be rendered simply but contain multitudes. Of course, that impression may be my own biases playing a part, because Russian was my first attempt to learn a new language and it is as nearly far apart from my native tongue as can be possible.

But in any event, any opinions on what translations I should keep an eye out for?

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
In my time in Russia I gained a working knowledge of the language and could exist day by day. The one thing I still remember is the "why" is most important for understanding. Translating words is one thing. But, understanding the "why" something was said is most important. This is the reason I think translating written words is very difficult. Simply parsing written words means, necessarily, the intent is often missed.

Not much help I know. Best I could do though. I feel a translation performed by a native Russian speaker, highly annotated as to meaning/intent, could be the best translation.

Reactions: K.E. Powell

elessar

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2019
A lot of heavy weights listed here, some of which I have read and at times enjoyed. Most of the time though, I like a good airport novel. Blow some shit up unnecessarily? Yes please. A bad guy with a secret yet obvious lair in a mountain in Switzerland? Why sure. A ferociously attractive woman who is a black belt, a pilot, and strangely a pastry chef? Of course.

In that genre, my current favorite is Ted Bell.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
To name just a few:

Essays: E.B. White
Hunting and fishing: Robert Ruark, Nash Buckingham, Havilah Babcock, Burton Spiller, and Gene Hill
Speculative fiction: Ray Bradbury, Jack Finney
Science fiction: Harry Harrison
Fantasy: J.R.R. Tolkien
Humor: Corey Ford, James Thurber, Robert Benchley, and Frank Sullivan
History: Allan Nevins, Barbara Tuchman
Crime: Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

• Love

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Not to derail the tread, but I've been meaning to ask someone who may be able to help with this question, and the number of Dostoevesky fans here suggests I just may find someone that can help.

Simply put, which English translation of "Brothers Karamazov" is best? I enjoyed "Crime & Punishment" when I read it in college, but I couldn't help but feel the prose may have been dumbed down with the paperback edition I was reading at the time (I think it was a Cambridge edition, but I am not certain). I have an old hardcover edition of BK that was translated by a Princess Kropotkin, but the book's prose is wooden and a bit of a slog, though I am not qualified to know if it is the fault of the translator or something else.

I used to actually know a little Russian; in fact, in true Russian fashion, my Russian language professor "elected" me president of our school's Russian club. Sadly, with no one to speak with and no one to go over the language with me, I lost what little grasp of the language I once had. But I remember vividly the, for lack of better term, nature of the Russian language: it was workmanlike yet complex at the same time, where statements would often be rendered simply but contain multitudes. Of course, that impression may be my own biases playing a part, because Russian was my first attempt to learn a new language and it is as nearly far apart from my native tongue as can be possible.

But in any event, any opinions on what translations I should keep an eye out for?
I have only read the Richard Pevear / Larissa Volokhonsky translation for all of his major novels (and most of his shorter stories) so I can't compare with any others...but from what I have read about the translations there seems to be a fair consensus that the P/V translations are the best choice.

All I can say is that as much as I got out of them, I can't imagine any others being better.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Oh hell, it's a political year so I'll take the risk.
Douglas Murray. A brilliant conservative and a remarkably brave gay man.
Read him.......read him.....read him!

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
Simply put, which English translation of "Brothers Karamazov" is best?
I already answered that above.

The Brothers K, I happened to pick up and start reading when I was in St. Petersburg in 2006, but I had the Andrew McAndrew translation (Bantam), which I now realize is not quite faithful. I started reading the translation by Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky over the summer this year. Maybe it's common knowledge, but that's the one to get.
I've only also read their translation of The Idiot. I'll need to go back and reread everything else.

Reactions: K.E. Powell