Who In History Would You Most Like To Share A Bowl With?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

docpierce

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2020
I have a feeling you'd leave the interview somewhat disappointed. Hitler was a typical and utterly petty human being lifted to infamy by circumstance. You can cross paths with anyone of his ilk on the street any given day, and not confuse their paranoid self-aggrandizing ramblings with greatness on any level.
Well, I disagree. With respect, I think you are a victim of wartime propaganda. Leon Degrelle, who spent weeks at a time with the man, wrote:

"It has become impossible to explain to people fed fantastic tales for decades that what they have read or heard on television just does not correspond to the truth.
People have come to accept fiction, repeated a thousand times over, as reality. Yet they have never seen Hitler, never spoken to him, never heard a word from his mouth. The very name of Hitler immediately conjures up a grimacing devil, the fount of all of one's negative emotions. Like Pavlov's bell, the mention of Hitler is meant to dispense with substance and reality. In time, however, history will demand more than these summary judgments.
He was not tall -- no more than was Napoleon or Alexander the Great. Hitler had deep blue eyes that many found bewitching, although I did not find them so. Nor did I detect the electric current his hands were said to give off. I gripped them quite a few times and was never struck by his lightning.
After 1945 Hitler was accused of every cruelty, but it was not in his nature to be cruel. He loved children. It was an entirely natural thing for him to stop his car and share his food with young cyclists along the road. Once he gave his raincoat to a derelict plodding in the rain. At midnight he would interrupt his work and prepare the food for his dog Blondi.

From his essay:
My Personal Impressions of Hitler - He Was a Great, Brilliant Man - Don't Believe the Lies, by Leon Degrelle
(Institute for Historical Review)

Status
Not open for further replies.