PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Just finished counting. Seventy-four here. :mrgreen: That's funny. That's my birth year.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Like northerneil, I have more than some , less than others but the ones I do have are the best there is. :)

fmgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2014
What is needed here is to calculate your PAD denial index.
A simple calculation made by taking the number of pipes you own (or have owned and removed from your collection) and divide by the number of years you have been a pipe smoker. The higher the number the worse the PAD. The denial part comes in by not counting pipes you own but don't smoke, or pipes you sold or lost. That or suddenly suggesting you took up a pipe at age 3.
Someone who has been smoking pipes for 10 years and has 60 pipes has a lower PAD index than a 2 year pipe smoker with 18 pipes.
What I am not sure about at what values equate to mild, medium or full blown, uncontrollable, PAD.
My PAD Index is 7.2

av8scuba

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2013
Mid-Missouri
Been smoking for about 3 years. I have 3 that I rotate. But the total count is about 15. ... or is that 30? Oh well, I guess it doesn't matter. You can never have too many, right? Interesting question though, @mso489. :puffy:

lostandfound

Sep 30, 2011
I'd say anything north of 365 is too many- unless one leans more towards being a "collector", as opposed to a smoker. Although, having 365 pipes means that many, if not most of those pipes, are left feeling neglected and abandoned for a year, at least. I'm sorry, but I just couldn't do that to my pipes.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I have some serious PAD. It's been the most fun I've had in awhile involving money. That and TAD.

As near as I can figure, I'm one full year into smoking a pipe. I don't know how many I've bought, or smoke or don't smoke...but, suffice to say...it's pretty funny when you consider I started with a Legend and now own: Comoy's, Dunhill, Peterson, Butz Choqin, Stanwell, Ropp, Kiko, Kaywoodie, LHS, Brebbia, Lorenzo, MasterCraft, Wally Frank, Cobbs up the ying yang, Chacom...and more...I've gone bonkers....and am still traveling.

My first artisan is one my brother made. My next, may be, I hope will be, one I make.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
peck, I didn't know you have a false wall. Now let's see, I will take a Bang, 3 Park's, 4 Rad's, 2 Thile's, that is just too start, I will think of more later.
I bought 3 Ruthenberg's, 1 Rad and 1 Herbaugh in the last 10 days, so I obviously I win with only 5 pipes. Please feel free to grab your kleenex and have a cry for me.

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
I have 5 briars and about 15 corn cobs. I enjoy my cobs more than my briars. I've been smoking for three years.

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Wait, we don't count cobs or clays, right? That wouldn't be fair. I don't know how many cobs I have, I don't even know where they all are located.....
If my wife asks, I have just the 20 or so that are on the racks in my office. That's it. There is no need to look any further.

maxx

Apr 10, 2015
I'm a month in. As of tomorrow, when my second $24 eBay pipe arrives, I'll have:
2 Peterson [$96 and $116]

1 Radice [$300]

1 Scott Hudson [$185]

2 Missouri Meerschaum [$4.50 and $6.49]

2 eBay No-name [$24 and $24]
That comes to $755.99, plus the tax on the second Cob, which I bought in town.
April was a three check month, so I got up to speed fairly easily. Now I have far less to spend and will have to slow down. I also need to buy a set of tires for my truck before winter, so that'll cut into my pipe budget. I actually delayed getting the tires to get the pipes. After all, one must have priorities.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Just finished counting. Seventy-four here. [:mrgreen:] That's funny. That's my birth year.
What's really funny is that's the year I graduated from High School and 4 pipes already. (Ahem, but 2 were for tobacco, the other 2 well...)...

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Technically my first pipe was a new cob stummel that my grandfather let me gnaw on when I was teething. :mrgreen:

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
For thirty years or so I got by with 3 or 4 pipes. Then I started reading this forum and now the number is....well... I probably shouldn't say, but it's enough that I stopped counting.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I blame at least 1/4 of my collection on the forum enabling mentality. Oops, I'm one of them. :mrgreen:

delkhouri

Can't Leave
May 4, 2013
Columbus Ohio
I have 10 pipes. 7 of them are artisan pipes from Rad Davis, Scott Thile, Larrysson, Perry White, Tim Torpe, and RC Sands.
The other three are ones I have made or have sentimental value. I have gotten rid of all the rest of my factory made pipes. I like artisan pipes, especially from makers that I have had the chance to talk to and get to know.
The only reason I don't have more pipes is because I can't afford more artisan pipes. I acquire about two artisan pipes a year.
I'm hoping to have some money saved up for the Columbus show and walk out with a couple pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.