PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 29, 2016
I tried it in a small pipe, the strength creeps on you but I was expecting hell and... nothing. The flavors are earthy/musty, more peppery than of dried plums and the nicotine buzz is manageable. Of course I wouldn't smoke more than 15 minutes of it. I will start experimenting with Orlik Golden Sliced and more Perique.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I have in small bowls. It's the only way I can handle it. I did have a friend who on a dare, smoked it in a two inch deep bowl and he felt no ill effects. The man had a constitution of a Kryptonian.

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
It's not as rough as would be expected, actually quite good if you like earthy flavors. I enjoy a bowl of straight Perique infrequently, when the mood strikes. Also I purchase by the pound and add it to nearly everything.

Mar 29, 2016
I wonder if the prune taste comes more from the interaction of the Virginia with the Perique and not just the Perique itself. Like a good truffle, the Perique amplifies the existing flavor profile. I theorize of course.

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
"I wonder if the prune taste comes more from the interaction of the Virginia with the Perique and not just the Perique itself."
In my experience the prune-pepper flavor profile is more along a spectrum, to my tastes at least. A little dash of Perique can be plummy while getting heavy handed will bring up the spice.

Mar 29, 2016
A little dash of Perique with Virginia of course but Perique in itself is more towards the earthy/musty and peppery flavor. A heavy handed Perique will take over the Virginia hence my theory.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I've got a trip to New Orleans planned for 2019. I hope to make it out to St James Parish and visit a tobacco farm while I'm there. I've watched videos of Perique production and think it might be an interesting stop.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I've smoked some straight perique and it smells/tastes like sweaty socks.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I have about 2oz that a friend gifted me last year after doing a tobacco tour, I believe at the St. James Parish tobacco farm, while going to the Louisiana Pipe Show. I haven't tried it yet. I got some straight Latakia as well, and I was thinking of blending the tobacco's with some other blending tobacco's to come up with personal blend.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I smoked Perique soaked in Rum for curiosity, but have found myself returning to it sometimes. It was not as insane as I thought, but it might be best when combined with a strong Burley and a pinch of Virginias.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I have and honestly it wasn't all that bad. I try to smoke all the varietals on their own from time to time to get a better idea of their influence on a blend.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Why am I not drawn to this idea of smoking Perique. I've enjoyed some extra full-strength leaf, and I like cigar leaf and Turkish and others as a single leaf smoke. Smoking Perique as a single leaf strikes me as similar to drinking Coca Cola syrup instead of the carbonated beverage. But if it goes well, I say, enjoy.

I have smoked several different types of perique, attended a lecture by Mark Hall, and have visited LA Poche. I wonder if it's the mythos surrounding perique that sends guys trembling into touching fire to a bowl full of perique? Poetry and stories are full of references to guys smoking perique. Wasn't there a Christmas poem about St Nick smoking perique? Anyways...
I have never felt sick or even heavily nicotined from pure perique. I can feel the effects of Nightcap and Petersons Flake, and sure, I smoke the occasional GH Dark Flake, but I don't think that I am a huge nicotine heavy weight. I still don't smoke a VaPer early in the day.
Anyways, Mark told us that the perique starts off as a moderately strong burley, but the perique process turns the nicotine into more complex chemicals that have no nicotine effects by themself. However, mixing it with Virginias enhances the way we absorb the nicotine already latent in the Virginias. And, he mentioned that there are many people who cannot feel any effects or even taste perique. He mentioned some percentages, but since my brain isn't perfect, I'll just leave it at that.
See, as I understand it, Virginias already have enough nicotine in it to kill us, but the PH and other stuff affects the way we absorb it. Adding perique allows us to absorb and use more of the latent nicotine in the Virginia, and maybe adding some of its own.
When I smoke straight perique, I don't get the gut wrenches or green feeling. It's rather ashy, acidic, and monochromatic, IMO. Wider bowls don't do anything for it, and narrow bowls just seem to focus that acidic taste, not pleasant.
Different periques have more subtle different aciditicness, but for me, it would be like trying to tell the differences in brands of milk. Russ's experimentation into his RO and Triangle blends shows us that regions have an effect on whether the VaPer becomes more chocolaty, peppery, or fruity. So, region is important. In what way depends on the results, I guess.
With hopes that this doesn't lead to a rampant rage over cutting, I will say that the perique is cut with a dark fire burley, so if your getting a buzz, it may be the perique making the nicotine in the blended leaf. But, this is all taste tested with Mark saying that he even sends some to Greg Pease for tasting, or something like that.
As a relaxing smoke, perique fails for me. Maybe I could get used to it, but why? Ha ha. No, I think it's more boring than negative in any other way. Monochromatic. It doesn't stove in the pipe, and how much is burning in mass doesn't seem to effect it much. Just plain old acidic smoke, finishing in flavor just like it starts.
But try it. It's won't make you crazy... well, maybe don't take MY word on that, ha ha. The perique cigars that Mark Ryan makes is FANTASTIC. I just smoked one of the ones I picked up from Mark two years ago, aged in the humidor. 1881 Perique Maduro. One of the tastiests. Age definitely benefits those stogies. YMMV
I am no expert on anything pipe related. I am merely an expert on my own opinion, and I will always default to, "smoke what you like; like what you smoke."

Mar 29, 2016
When I said that the nicotine was creeping on me, I meant that slowly but surely, if I would have kept smoking more and more then yeah I would have had a big buzz. It's a gradual thing while GH and SG ropes hit you right away. Perique could be smoked in itself much more than Latakia but to get the most of it you have to be a slow puffer which I'n not. I added 9% Perique to Orlik Golden Sliced and I'll try it today.

Mar 29, 2016
And I never thought or said that, I was just specifying what I meant by buzz. Everybody buzzes differently.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
See, as I understand it, Virginias already have enough nicotine in it to kill us, but the PH and other stuff affects the way we absorb it.
If you took the average 5mg bowl's worth of leaf, heated it in water, and then consumed it, it would be fatal several times over. Please do not do this. I mention it as an illustration of Nicotine content alone.
My life's pursuit is to find a way to get more of that effect from leaf through a pipe. Nicotine is mental clarity. Well, that and meditation, but who has the brain free enough of neurosis to do that these days?

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I smoked a mini cob's worth of straight Perique and had difficulty tasting tobacco for the next day or so.

My taste buds were overwhelmed. The nic hit was not the concern, it was just too much for the buds.

I love to use it as an additive, but typically less than 10% of the mix.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
That sounds about right to me. I can see why people mix it with Virginias and Orientals so frequently: they tone down the taste from "peppered roast fig" to "sweet and sour sauce." It's like a fruity version of General Joe's Chicken.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Yes, I've smoked straight Perique. How else are you going to understand constituents if you want to try your hand at blending? It was no big deal. Didn't cause hallucinations or ecstatic visions. No big nicotine hit. Really not a flavor winner on it's own. Best used in a blend. Now that I have a variety of Perique leaf jarred I'll be doing another round of comparisons then start blending up some hopefully enjoyably noxious concoctions.

Status
Not open for further replies.