Who has Smoked Cornell and Diehl Anthology 1992-2022?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

4 Fresh Scott Thile Pipes
6 Fresh Castello Pipes
12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes
36 Fresh Tsuge Pipes
108 Fresh Brulor Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

The tin smell is interesting. It does smell just like hog shit.
Interesting. I have ready many of your posts @cosmicfolklore and I have learned much from you. You definitely know your stuff...esp about hog shit ;) - I just buried my nose in my jar and I don't get what you are getting - just bready, sweet, hay and all. Maybe my Corona sniffer is off - dunno :)

Interesting. I have ready many of your posts @cosmicfolklore and I have learned much from you. You definitely know your stuff...esp about hog shit ;) - I just buried my nose in my jar and I don't get what you are getting - just bready, sweet, hay and all. Maybe my Corona sniffer is off - dunno :)
Not sure what to say. Maybe my batch, which seemed wetter than others reported was a bad batch. But, mine was strong with the smell. I was wondering why no one had commented on it.

Reactions: Ebarber

blackpowderpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
My supply came at a moisture level that was ready to smoke right out of a freshly opened tin. I did get a fairly strong fermented smell but mainly raisins, freshly bailed hay and maybe a touch of apple cider vinegar. Nothing that reminded me at all of hog poop.

At least I hope your tobacco tasted good despite the tin note.

stogie37

Mar 24, 2012
Southport, North Carolina
None of that type smell in my first tin - and just a tad more damp than say a typical tin of Exhausted Rooster or Interlude. Enjoying this first tin, but will be happy to let the others rest a couple years and check back.

Reactions: Puffaluffaguss

Merton

Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
My wife put her foot down for the first time against a pipe tobacco last night. She has tolerated my stinkier cigar blends, burleys, and latakia for years. But, I was smoking the last of my Anthology while watching TV last night, and her eyes turned red and she started coughing. She said it smelled like acidic hickory smoke. I was perplexed, because it tasted good. So, I just set that pipe aside and packed up what I had left of some Star of the East and she was fine.

The tin smell is interesting. It does smell just like hog shit. Has anyone else noticed this? A lot of C&Ds have this aroma, but it seems especially pungent in this one, and the room I dried the tin out in smelled barn-yardy for a few days.
I thought that they barn yard smell was from burleys in other blends, but I have never encountered that smell in either other virginia blends nor when curing my own. And, even when standing in the middle of La Poche, it didn’t smell like that.

I am a C&D fanboy, so no hate on this, but WTF?!
Have not smoked it yet, but upon opening my first tin tonight the eau de barnyard was overwhelming. I smoke virginias and vapers almost exclusively and have never experienced that odor before. BTW, also purchased a couple of tins of London Burley just to try it even though I don't love Burley blends and that tin note is great.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore
Have not smoked it yet, but upon opening my first tin tonight the eau de barnyard was overwhelming. I smoke virginias and vapers almost exclusively and have never experienced that odor before. BTW, also purchased a couple of tins of London Burley just to try it even though I don't love Burley blends and that tin note is great.
It’s interesting how some tins have the fecal smell and some don’t. And, some are sopping wet and others not.
It does taste very good, but according to my wife, doesn’t have a good room note.

Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
It’s interesting how some tins have the fecal smell and some don’t. And, some are sopping wet and others not.
It does taste very good, but according to my wife, doesn’t have a good room note.
I get that with Bayou Morning. I had some air drying and my wide in the room and started looking to see if the dog took a dump in there - true story

pauls456

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2020
Tucson, Arizona
I thought about responding to his post in addition to a couple others but thought better of it. That level of logic is not worth responding to. The best one was something to the effect, “one of the guys on smokingpipes YouTube video said it was amazing”.
So I guess it was worth responding to.

Civil War

Lifer
Mar 6, 2018
I get that with Bayou Morning. I had some air drying and my wide in the room and started looking to see if the dog took a dump in there - true story
Yes, when I first opened my tin, the tin smell reminded me of Bayou Morning. That same funky barnyard smell. After about a week or so in a jar, the funky barnyard smell has gone away and been replaced by a warm bready smell. The funky barnyard smell never goes away in Bayou Morning. Just the same, Bayou Morning is one of my favorite go to tobacco blends. I now also really like Anthology a lot.

Yes, when I first opened my tin, the tin smell reminded me of Bayou Morning. That same funky barnyard smell. After about a week or so in a jar, the funky barnyard smell has gone away and been replaced by a warm bready smell. The funky barnyard smell never goes away in Bayou Morning. Just the same, Bayou Morning is one of my favorite go to tobacco blends. I now also really like Anthology a lot.
I didn’t notice the aroma at first. I can’t remember what the aroma was at first, and I didn’t notice the aroma till after I was down to the last bowl in the tin… and Inprobably wouldn’t have paid attention till Mrs Cosmic brought the terrible room note to my attention. Knowing that she doesn’t mind cigars, or any other pipe tobacco that I smoke, I knew something was wrong. It tasted fine, and I’ve otherwise enjoyed the tin. I was just curious if anyone else noticed this.

I’ve smelled that fecal aroma in other C&D blends, and I can’t recall ever smelling that in any other brand. Now, I’m really curious as to what it is. Maybe something in the casing? Weird.

Civil War

Lifer
Mar 6, 2018
I didn’t notice the aroma at first. I can’t remember what the aroma was at first, and I didn’t notice the aroma till after I was down to the last bowl in the tin… and Inprobably wouldn’t have paid attention till Mrs Cosmic brought the terrible room note to my attention. Knowing that she doesn’t mind cigars, or any other pipe tobacco that I smoke, I knew something was wrong. It tasted fine, and I’ve otherwise enjoyed the tin. I was just curious if anyone else noticed this.

I’ve smelled that fecal aroma in other C&D blends, and I can’t recall ever smelling that in any other brand. Now, I’m really curious as to what it is. Maybe something in the casing? Weird.
Well, Mc Clelland had that Mc Katsup smell, maybe C&D has that Mc Barnyard smell... on some of their blends.

• Haha
Reactions: PipeIT

blackpowderpiper

Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
After reading Cosmic's comments about the barnyard smell, I took a good sniff in my jar of Bayou Morning as I was loading my pipe this morning. I could maybe, slightly sense a smell of barnyard manure in it. I attribute that to the wonderful, funky smell of the Perique. May smell weird but tastes delicious.

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
Speaking of, anyone get intense barnyard smell from modern Escudo? I've said it before in the Plum Pudding discussion but that one makes Merde de Cheval look misnamed.

UncleRasta

Lifer
Sep 26, 2019
Monterey, CA
I haven't noticed a barnyard smell but after a couple of bowls, I'm looking forward to smoking some more. I got 4 tins. Two for now, and two for Ron.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
When I first opened the tin, I really smelled gingerbread, then later raisins, plum or prune like, vinegar, there is a slight background barnyard rustic smell.

Overall vinegar, raisin, bread, hay, at this point are the predominant smells for me.

I found the smoking very subtle and balanced, elegant is the word that comes to mind.

I pictured this as a Gentleman’s VA, sitting in a refined, elegant Gentleman’s Club, smoking the pipe.

I’ve certainly not smoked every VA VaPer out there, but this one for me, and what I’ve smoked, was very elegant/refined. ?