Who Has Sanded Out a Bowl on a Smoked Pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I wrapped some shop roll sandpaper around a dowel and sanded the cake out of a few of my pipes when I woke up and realized I really wasn’t a fan of thick crumbling cake in my pipes. I don’t own a reamer. Only did it to them the one time. Started cleaning them out after every smoke after that, and haven’t had a need to do it again.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I wrapped some shop roll sandpaper around a dowel and sanded the cake out of a few of my pipes when I woke up and realized I really wasn’t a fan of thick crumbling cake in my pipes. I don’t own a reamer. Only did it to them the one time. Started cleaning them out after every smoke after that, and haven’t had a need to do it again.
I got this for many years and can double for scrapping the bowl.

1628143705116.png

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
For some years I managed to lay hands on two Savinelli Fitsall pipe knives, meanwhile they have become scarce :
savinelli pipe knife.jpg
After the first reaming with the usual reaming tool, I carefully ream out the remaining cake with the knife;
it takes a little practice but it works wonders.
Followed by the careful sanding 220 - 300 grit.
Steve Laug from Rebornpipes wrote some interesting posts about them.

Last edited:

jhowell

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
For some years I managed to lay hands on two Savinelli Fitsall pipe knives, meanwhile they have become scarce :
View attachment 91386
After the first reaming with the usual reaming tool, I carefully ream out the remaining cake with the knife;
it takes a little practice but it works wonders.
Followed by the careful sanding 220 - 300 grit.
Steve Laug from Rebornpipes wrote some interesting posts about them.
A machinist triangular scraper does the same job and is readily available.

Reactions: ofafeather
Dec 10, 2013
A machinist triangular scraper does the same job and is readily available.
Could be, yes. But I worry about the pointy end, while the pipe knife is rounded.
Makes it very suitable for reaming the chamber bottom . It is nice tool too, I suspect the body of the handle to be sand blasted briar.
You could of course work on the pointy end of the scraper too :)
It is a wonderful idea, thank you !

Last edited:

fightnhampster

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
Sanded the bowl of my Rossi 315. I've smoked 3 bowls of different tobacco in it and its like a new pipe! It has made a world of difference. It no longer has an off, chemical note. Well worth the time and effort. I plan on doing the same with my Neerup that has been giving me fits.

Reactions: orlandofurioso
Dec 10, 2013
Sanded the bowl of my Rossi 315. I've smoked 3 bowls of different tobacco in it and its like a new pipe! It has made a world of difference. It no longer has an off, chemical note. Well worth the time and effort. I plan on doing the same with my Neerup that has been giving me fits.
Through the past years I must have sanded hundreds of bowls .
It takes a little work, but it is rewarding to shape quite some dowels to fit several chamber shapes and sizes , if you take my meaning.
Around each I glue a thin mousepad like foam. It makes the sandpaper adjust to
the chamber so much better and so makes the sanding easier and much more kind to the precious briar. . Savvy ?

Reactions: fightnhampster