Who Has Sanded Out a Bowl on a Smoked Pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
I hate cake. Cake is filth, it is a myth and I loath the idea of smoking someones burned, old leaf and DNA,
if you take my meaning . So I like to smoke my pipes clean and careful, never to hot to protect my
dear, precious briars from burning.
When I refurbish my estates I most carefully remove the yucky cake and then sand with glass paper
wrapped around a shaped dowel. 220 followed by 350 , or even even up to 500 .
Possible repairs will be done with my own recipe organic pipe cement , followed by my own organic bowl coating. All this apart from an optional cottonballs/alcohol cleaning.
Voilà , the future is ours.

Last edited:

JimPM

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2021
Title edited for caps and clarity.

I know there may not be too many reasons for this - but is this possible - does anyone ever sand out an entire chamber of tar/coating - is this a disaster waiting to happen?
Yep I do that on all the estate pipes I restore. Ream first and then finish with sanding/alcohol wash. In doing this it really allows you to see any hidden issues that may have been lying under the cake that might need tending to. No problems to date. To finish I always bowl coat them as well especially the older estates.

Reactions: OzPiper

fightnhampster

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
Interesting thread. Any tips other than what have been listed? Mistakes to avoid?

I have a couple of newish pipes that I have just not been able to get a good flavor out of and I am considering sanding down to the briar and starting over. Both had bowl coatings from the factory in them and now have a little bit of cake (not much).

Reactions: ofafeather