PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
I’m not trying to encourage anyone to start pipe smoking and I don’t want to contravene any rules of the site, but I am interested to hear your stories; spend a little time with me down Memory Lane if you can?
My Grandad got me into pipe smoking. I spent a school holiday at my Grandparent’s house, when I was 13 or so; upon arrival, on the kitchen table, was a Hamlet cigar, a Woodbine and a pipe loaded with Condor; times were different in the 1990’s.
I hadn’t smoked anything up to this this point - the legal age being 16 in the UK and I looked all of my 13 years - and grandad said “You’ll be old enough soon; time for you to decide.”
I used to sit on his knee as a kid, listening to stories about El Alamein and Rommel in the desert, blue smoke curling up to the sky from his pipe as he told me stories that I couldn’t repeat here; the stem end of his pipe was used as a pointing device, as well as a rifle, a flag pole and anything else he could use it for.
That day, I opted for the pipe; it felt refined as it hung from my lip, I was hooked.
My Grandad had learnt to cut hair during the war and he would take me off, round the village with him, as he went to Mr So And So’s house to cut hair, everyone of them smoked something - Player’s cigarettes, Woodbines, pipes, cheroots; some took snuff if a blizzard of brown powder, sneezing and guffawing all round the place.
I wasn’t so keen on the cigarette smokers, there houses smelt like an ash tray but the pipe smokers? The smell was like heaven. I can’t remember a bad smell but I suppose there must have been: cherry tobacco, vanilla, walnut - all alien to me but smelling beautiful. To this day, if I come across a brother of the briar out on the street, I move into his slip stream and try and work out the blend.
There was an old chap, called Mr Croft - pronounced Mester in that part of Yorkshire - who was a carpenter by trade. His workshop was a meeting place for the menfolk - much like I imagine old barbers shops were in the States. One memory is of him turning some wood and the smell of the wood shavings mingling with the pipe smoke, will stay with me until the end.
I remember: tea and tobacco - the kettle was boiled 3 or more times in the hour and everyone used a cup and saucer to drink from, as my grandad stood, cutting hair.
He was good at cutting hair, if you liked a short back and sides.
My gran was not complimentary about the smell in the slightest, we were banished to the kitchen while she watched Dad’s Army, snorting and giggling at it but to me, that kitchen, smoking a pipe, is where I learned more about life and the true horrors of man than ever I learned in a classroom.
I hope that this thread doesn’t contravene any site rules or regulations but I love a good story; I’d be pleased to hear yours.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I’m not trying to encourage anyone to start pipe smoking and I don’t want to contravene any rules of the site, but I am interested to hear your stories; spend a little time with me down Memory Lane if you can?
My Grandad got me into pipe smoking. I spent a school holiday at my Grandparent’s house, when I was 13 or so; upon arrival, on the kitchen table, was a Hamlet cigar, a Woodbine and a pipe loaded with Condor; times were different in the 1990’s.
I hadn’t smoked anything up to this this point - the legal age being 16 in the UK and I looked all of my 13 years - and grandad said “You’ll be old enough soon; time for you to decide.”
I used to sit on his knee as a kid, listening to stories about El Alamein and Rommel in the desert, blue smoke curling up to the sky from his pipe as he told me stories that I couldn’t repeat here; the stem end of his pipe was used as a pointing device, as well as a rifle, a flag pole and anything else he could use it for.
That day, I opted for the pipe; it felt refined as it hung from my lip, I was hooked.
My Grandad had learnt to cut hair during the war and he would take me off, round the village with him, as he went to Mr So And So’s house to cut hair, everyone of them smoked something - Player’s cigarettes, Woodbines, pipes, cheroots; some took snuff if a blizzard of brown powder, sneezing and guffawing all round the place.
I wasn’t so keen on the cigarette smokers, there houses smelt like an ash tray but the pipe smokers? The smell was like heaven. I can’t remember a bad smell but I suppose there must have been: cherry tobacco, vanilla, walnut - all alien to me but smelling beautiful. To this day, if I come across a brother of the briar out on the street, I move into his slip stream and try and work out the blend.
There was an old chap, called Mr Croft - pronounced Mester in that part of Yorkshire - who was a carpenter by trade. His workshop was a meeting place for the menfolk - much like I imagine old barbers shops were in the States. One memory is of him turning some wood and the smell of the wood shavings mingling with the pipe smoke, will stay with me until the end.
I remember: tea and tobacco - the kettle was boiled 3 or more times in the hour and everyone used a cup and saucer to drink from, as my grandad stood, cutting hair.
He was good at cutting hair, if you liked a short back and sides.
My gran was not complimentary about the smell in the slightest, we were banished to the kitchen while she watched Dad’s Army, snorting and giggling at it but to me, that kitchen, smoking a pipe, is where I learned more about life and the true horrors of man than ever I learned in a classroom.
I hope that this thread doesn’t contravene any site rules or regulations but I love a good story; I’d be pleased to hear yours.
You bring back memories of my summers in Northern Ireland, my Condor smoking grandfather, his motorbike, the friendly village,etc.
Your writing is evocative and beautiful, and you sure didn't violate any of my rules.
Keep writing!

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Beautiful memories.

I got into pipes about a decade ago when my mates and I got tired of sharing cigars after band practice. We used to take turns at buying a tin each and then would share it until it was empty. I still remember the excitement and expectation of one of us turning up with a new blend to try and we had hover around to watch it being popped.

while I don’t have the childhood experiences of room note that you do, my dad came around and walked into my studio (only room I will smoke indoors in as is detached from house) and burst into a huge childlike grin. He said the smell he was greeted with while stepping into the room too him back 6 decades to visiting his pop. Pretty special to see him moved like that.

my grandad on my mum’s side was Lebanese so I have similar flash backs when I taste cinnamon

Franco Pipenbeans

Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
You bring back memories of my summers in Northern Ireland, my Condor smoking grandfather, his motorbike, the friendly village,etc.
Your writing is evocative and beautiful, and you sure didn't violate any of my rules.
Keep writing!
That’s kind of you to say, Edger. Are you from Northern Ireland or were you visiting?

Franco Pipenbeans

Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
Beautiful memories.

I got into pipes about a decade ago when my mates and I got tired of sharing cigars after band practice. We used to take turns at buying a tin each and then would share it until it was empty. I still remember the excitement and expectation of one of us turning up with a new blend to try and we had hover around to watch it being popped.

while I don’t have the childhood experiences of room note that you do, my dad came around and walked into my studio (only room I will smoke indoors in as is detached from house) and burst into a huge childlike grin. He said the smell he was greeted with while stepping into the room too him back 6 decades to visiting his pop. Pretty special to see him moved like that.

my grandad on my mum’s side was Lebanese so I have similar flash backs when I taste cinnamon
Is that because there is a lot of cinnamon in Lebanese cooking, Ahi Ka?

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As I've often reported on Forums, my dad smoked a pipe from age 15 to 65, only owing one functioning pipe at a time and only smoking Granger from a pouch. He smoked all the way through WWII rising to skipper of a minesweeper in the Pacific. He departed life at age 89 licensed to drive without glasses. I didn't smoke a pipe until I was in my early thirties, but when I picked up a pipe from Tinderbox, I had all the moves imprinted on me like muscle memory, very little learning curve.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Nope. No mentors. My first 13 years were in Korea. All men smoked cigarettes. Some women smoked also. All my aunts in mother's side and grandmother. Only pipe smoking I remember was our American neighbor who smoked Half & Half, and my father trying pipe with Half & Half. Growing up, always wanted to be old enough to smoke cigarettes. Seemed super cool. And I did smoke starting 12 or so. That lasted until I was in late 40 or something. Still buy a pack when I'm super stressed. Almost quit cigarettes with vape, but missed tobacco. Back about three years ago, I got up one morning and said "I want to smoke pipe" or something like that. And that was it.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
I started with havana cigars in special Partagás and H Upmann.I fell in love of these smoke.My father smoked cigars an pipes.And I never forgot that smell.I started really late in a pipe.Only one year smoking pipe tobacco.And it's the best thingthat's ever happened to me in the life...........I have love for this tradition..............You can't explain it with words..........?????13-1.jpg

Franco Pipenbeans

Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
Beautiful memories.

Is that because there is a lot of cinnamon in Lebanese cooking, Ahi Ka
As I've often reported on Forums, my dad smoked a pipe from age 15 to 65, only owing one functioning pipe at a time and only smoking Granger from a pouch. He smoked all the way through WWII rising to skipper of a minesweeper in the Pacific. He departed life at age 89 licensed to drive without glasses. I didn't smoke a pipe until I was in my early thirties, but when I picked up a pipe from Tinderbox, I had all the moves imprinted on me like muscle memory, very little learning curve.
My grandad was very much like your dad, mso489; he only ever had two pipes at any one time and that was only because he got caught out in the winter of 1963. He got snowed in at a pub near Holmfirth which, on the face of it, would be ideal (especially pre mobile phones when the phone lines have been taken out by the snow fall) but he broke his pipe during the beer delivery on the first morning.
I remember that he had a bent rustic, that wasn’t by a known maker, and a Zulu (which I’ve still got) again, only a cheap but functional basket pipe.
He smoked one pouch of tobacco at a time and if he’d seen what I’ve been collecting over the last year, he would’ve, undoubtedly, thought that I was being ridiculous - this was a man who spent time each week, rolling newspapers into spills because he didn’t want to spend a few pence on a box of matches - a different time, in a different world I guess.

Franco Pipenbeans

Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
My Mom was a war bride in the WAAFs from Fermanagh. Dad was a GI. We went to visit in summer. BTW, this was in the 1950's. We taught our new mates baseball, they taught us conkers. Wonderful memories!
I bet that you were the height of popularity with the local kids on those holidays; armed to the teeth with bubble gum and other American treats, Edger?

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
I started with havana cigars in special Partagás and H Upmann.I fell in love of these smoke.My father smoked cigars an pipes.And I never forgot that smell.I started really late in a pipe.Only one year smoking pipe tobacco.And it's the best thingthat's ever happened to me in the life...........I have love for this tradition..............You can't explain it with words..........?????View attachment 59523
At only 21 years old,start smoking habano cigars..........For never did Ilike cigarettes of low quality..........And of course aromatic candy flavor,vanilla cream etc............

Franco Pipenbeans

Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
I started with havana cigars in special Partagás and H Upmann.I fell in love of these smoke.My father smoked cigars an pipes.And I never forgot that smell.I started really late in a pipe.Only one year smoking pipe tobacco.And it's the best thingthat's ever happened to me in the life...........I have love for this tradition..............You can't explain it with words..........?????View attachment 59523
My grandad used to smoke a cigar down until it scalded his fingers and then he finished it off in his pipe - waste not want not, John72 ?

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I bet that you were the height of popularity with the local kids on those holidays; armed to the teeth with bubble gum and other American treats, Edger?
Actually, we were showered in Cadburys and Bourneville. Quality stuff. Larkin's local shop had ice cream sandwiches with the block of ice cream wrapped in paper and the biscuit portion separate! Never saw that in the states! Fun times. It was exciting to get up every morning to new experiences for a kid from Suburban Long Island.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I was mostly a chewer and cigarette smoker until a freshman at college. I noticed a couple of busty coeds who seemed enamored with a leather, elbow patch, pipe smoking prof. No way with the tweed but, if a pipe was what was needed ...Well, a trek to the Woolworth's in town, a leather covered Ropp, a packet of Walnut and I was ready for the competition!

I was asked to remove myself from the dorm and move into the apartment complex with the rest of the "crass" hockey players discovering "puck bunnies" as compensation. I was now an aficionado of the pipe but, no longer competing with professors. bunnies were a lot more entertaining compared to studious coeds.

americaman

May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
My younger brother, around 15 years of age, wanted to get into pipe smoking when he turned 18. He started telling me about Frog Morton and other tobaccos with cool names (this is why Frog Morton will always have a special place in my heart). I always liked tobacco; the flavor and the smell. So I thought I would give pipe smoking a try. By 2018 I had really gotten into it.