Who Did Your First Commissioned Pipe, and When?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

23 Fresh Bruno Nuttens Pipes
36 Fresh Ropp Pipes
1 Fresh Clarin Clay Pipe
12 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes
36 Fresh Nørding Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mar 1, 2014
Mike Billington at Blakemar Briars, delivered in February this year.
It was more a matter of finding out what stummels he had available and choosing the finish, and the wait was about five months, but but the results are spectacular and priced very reasonably.
One of the things I love about Blakemar pipes is fresh out of the box they smell like a leatherworking shop, I get a big hit of nostalgia drawing from those pipes.

Almost immediately after receiving these two I tracked down some Churchwarden stems that would fit his pipes and now have a second set in the works.

21B4F594-9533-46E1-9969-B6C840564A0D.jpeg

89CDE54D-0DD0-4908-8651-30B3BF8FAD4C.jpeg

smokeymo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 1, 2020
AZ
Has anyone ever commissioned a pipe from a pipe maker outside of the US? Any commissioned Danish pipes from say Tom Eltang for example?
I am on the waitlist for my first ever commissioned pipe. It's from a pipemaker named Jeremiah Mierke out of Australia. His operation is called Bullfrog Pipes and is known for the gumnut shape. I'm really excited to get this pipe. Working with him has been easy and pretty fun actually. Here is the sketch (bottom):

IMG_3150.jpg

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I did one with Steve Downie out of Vancouver. The pipe looked like he just slopped some thing together. Terrible. I sold it without smoking it.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
A Michael Parks just like this one. He was great to work with.

CH6NVtGm.jpg

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Someone had posted pics about their commissioned set of pipes from Scottie Piersel. I was so blown away by them I decided I had to have one... so...
At the time (2016) it was the longest "Scottie" she had done. A hair over 7" if I remember correctly. I ended up using it in a trade deal but I've had others from her since, including one of my absolute favorites.

D4992C61-FE87-45A1-A770-F9049AF29FDF.jpeg

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
I have struck a pretty good rapport with Scott Thile. Such a gentlemen and we share some common interests.

That being said, my wife bought my first SEThile pipe for Christmas last year from SPC. I loved it so much I reached out to him because I would love a 7 day set of this particular shape (or variations of).

Scott doesn't do "commissions" per se, but he will take "suggestions" and do his best to work with that. I told him I would like another Freehand Dublin with a Cumberland stem and an Ebony accent. He did an amazing job and it is an amazing smoker. He also sent me pictures of the entire pipemaking process (the pictures are the ones that he sent me).

He is on the "lookout" for another Dublin for me right now to add to the collection. Such a great guy and I cannot say enough nice things about him.TVUP6422[1].JPGVWZK1433[1].JPG

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've never commissioned a pipe. The idea is appealing, to come up with the description and a few specific requests and let someone realize the pipe adding their knowhow and skill. I always want to see an item. With online shopping, I feel like the available inventory is so vast, I can always find something excellent. But maybe someday I'll think of a pipe that I just can't find and go looking for a carver.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
I am on the waitlist for my first ever commissioned pipe. It's from a pipemaker named Jeremiah Mierke out of Australia. His operation is called Bullfrog Pipes and is known for the gumnut shape. I'm really excited to get this pipe. Working with him has been easy and pretty fun actually. Here is the sketch (bottom):

View attachment 91278
Awesome. I have actually been thinking of commissioning a long shanked gumnut pipe from Jeremiah. It would be cool to have a local Australian made pipe at some point I think.