Pulled from pipedia:

Pricing on top models – mid to late 1980s​

• Golden Contrast 600 DKK.
  • Silver S 600 DKK.
  • Hand Cut, sandblasted 1200 DKK.
  • Hand Cut, smooth 1500 DKK.

More Information on Recent Grading (through to mid 1990s):​

Hand Cut:

This line of Stanwells was manufactured in the early to mid 1980s and was part of their “Specialty” line.They were priced approximately 2.5 times more than the top-of-the-line Silver S series. What sets these pipes apart from the Silver S series is that the mouthpieces were made of Cumberland rod. Not only that but, the mouthpieces were hand-cut by the likes of Tom Eltang, Peter Hedegaard, Jess Chonowitsch, etc.,the handmakers, for each individual pipe in their own shop. The Hand Cut series was available in both smooth and a blast finish. The underneath of the stem is stamped “hand cut”; the stem carries the Stanwell crown over S logo in brass. The shank is stamped “Stanwell” over “Made in Denmark”. It should be noted that none of these pipes had a Stanwell shape number stamped on the shank, as is the Stanwell tradition.

Reactions: Humblepipe

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Well, Stan of course. 😄

I didn’t think it was possible to track the individual carver on Stanwell pipes? It would be very cool if that turns out to not be the case!

Reactions: Ahi Ka

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Well, Stan of course. 😄

I didn’t think it was possible to track the individual carver on Stanwell pipes? It would be very cool if that turns out to not be the case!

I think it easier when a number is associated with the pipe. We are thinking that, perhaps, because we know about when the pipe was made and that it is a very high grade one for Stanwell... we might get lucky LOL.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Normally I wouldn’t even try to guess, what got me curious was this reference to the handcut Cumberland rods above…

What sets these pipes apart from the Silver S series is that the mouthpieces were made of Cumberland rod. Not only that but, the mouthpieces were hand-cut by the likes of Tom Eltang, Peter Hedegaard, Jess Chonowitsch, etc.,the handmakers, for each individual pipe in their own shop.

• Love
Reactions: cosmicfolklore