PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
I have a couple of meers (Baki and Tekin) which are finished with white beewax coating. I eyed one I like which is finished with yellow beewax. Is there any reason for that, just for cosmetic appearance or because they color differently? And the one waxed with the yellow beewax should be continued to be waxed with the yellow beewax?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
The manufacturer coats with a wax and other additives. I've never run across a meer where that coating has "gone away." I'm sure some exist though. Just smoke your meer and let it color from the inside out, naturally.

A "yellow" pipe would be suspicious to me. Perhaps African meerschaum as opposed to Turkish. African does not color naturally from the inside out. They are colored yellow (Not simply with a beeswax), rim being darker than the rest of the bowl. If you see a pic of something like that do no9t expect Turkish meerschaum or, expect it to color like one.

There is nothing intrinsically wrong with an African meerschaum. Just realize that it is a "horse of a different color" with respect to Turkish. Also, be aware of pipes made of "cultered meerschaum." These pipes are made from powdered meerscham with a binder. Not being porous, they do not color either.

64alex

May 10, 2016
[ Many Kudrets, Kenans, and Yaniks are yellow. Yellow wax is fully refined and white cosmetic grade is bleached. ]

The one I am looking is a Kenan and I am sure it is a quality meer block.

I also saw different videos of rewaxing meers tipically when they become dull (so depending on how much do you smoke them they might require rewaxing).

Yes, I know the yellow wax is the original one and the white one is the bleached one. My main question is if they color differently depending from the wax white or yellow.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The one I am looking is a Kenan and I am sure it is a quality meer block.
My magnum skull is a Kenan and is very high quality.

IMG_4802__51590.1574218451.jpeg-1.jpg

20201108_003035.jpg

I also saw different videos of rewaxing meers tipically when they become dull (so depending on how much do you smoke them they might require rewaxing).

They don't become dull. A soft buffing with a tshirt shines them right up. No rewaxing required. I hit 400 smokes in my skull last week, and still just as shiny as new, though picking up color.

My main question is if they color differently depending from the wax white or yellow.
They really shouldn't. Here's an AKB claw I used to have that was snow white when new.

20180930_184036.jpg

marconi

May 17, 2019
England
I have four Turkish block meers all white.If I ever bought another, I would buy a yellow rusticated like the ones Yanik makes.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Yellow or white is purely cosmetic. If you're looking for a meer then what you need to look out for is the pipe block or pressed. A block meer is carved from a solid block of meerschaum where some of the lesser quality pipes are leftovers that are ground into a powder and mixed with epoxy and pressed into a block then shaped.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Why should a Turkish meer become "dull"? I've never seen that.

With regards to "yellowed" meers? Wouldn't think of purchasing one. Of course I have five being smoked daily, they are all quality from the last century, coloring nicely. Most of the manufacture's names mentioned these days I've never heard of of. So, perhaps they are processing their products differently that thirty to fifty years ago.

burrito

Lurker
Jan 2, 2024
I've seen a YouTube video of a carver who uses white, yellow, and brown wax. His higher end work is finished with yellow wax.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
You can find meerschaum pipes in a variety of colors from traditional white, yellow, red, blue and even green. The ones that are colored will actually start to turn white as you smoke them, and if you smoke them long enough, they will then color with golden tones, browns and deep chocolate colors like traditional meerschaum pipes will.

I have a yellow Yanik pipe, and over the time the yellow color has faded in spots and the natural white is coming through.

As for re-waxing meerschaum pipes, it's not necessary but some people do it still. I do it every couple years on some of my more heavily smoked meers. I've used white beeswax, and the traditional beeswax and neither makes a difference.

Reactions: burrito

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
@Chasing Embers ah, I always thought at some point you would wax a meerschaum, I assumed, it eventually wears out and needs reapplying at some point.

@marconi colored like this one?

Is it wax he uses to make them appear this color? 🤔

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Here we go again! Re-waxing is a total waste of time that will result in your pipe becoming a dust trap. If you want it to color then fill it up with tobacco and smoke it. If it is a Turkish meerschaum carved from block consider putting a restrictor in the bottom and watch the thing turn all manner of interesting colors! There I have said it!

Reactions: Zapasta and jpmcwjr