PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivapewithfire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2014
West Virginia, USA
On the advice of my local tobacconist, I recently purchased a tin of S&G Full Virginia Flake.
When I opened the tin, I immediately noticed a white substance on the flake.
I'm pretty sure it's not mold, or packaging.
It's more of a crystalline type substance. It doesn't fall off the flake, but comes off if I rub it vigerously with my thumb.
I've read about something called "plume". I might not using the right term, but I think this might be what I'm seeing.
Could some of you more experienced smokers lend your opinion?
2015-01-30%20SG%20Full%20Virginia%20Flake%2001%202_zps7pwvnklv.jpg

2015-01-30%20SG%20Full%20Virginia%20Flake%2001_zpsv9exdwk5.jpg

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
It's plume. Smoke and enjoy.
Can someone sticky this thread? This question comes up often, and these pictures are a perfect illustration.

ivapewithfire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2014
West Virginia, USA
Well that was my guess.
Judging by the dust I brushed off the shelf, this tin may have been sitting for a couple of days.
I was pretty sure it was a sign of aging, but really was only hoping.
I've already rubbed out a flake and letting it dry.
This is absolutely the "wettest" tobacco I've touched. It smells like a dream. From the reviews on tobaccoreviews.com it's a common state for this particular brand/blend.
I'll give my VERY amateur review of it shortly.

freakiefrog

Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
I have some 2007 Christmas Cheer that is like that. It's almost black is so oily. Set it out to dry for a while before you smoke it. Then prepare to be spoiled, you'll never want to smoke "young" tobacco again.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
That is going to be FRIGGIN' DELICIOUS! :P
I recently pulled a 5 Vegas AAA Maduro from the bottom of my humidor with two years on it.
The bloom was lightly covering the entire stick and was one of the best smokes I've ever had. :worship:

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
If its Bath Salts and you smoke it, you might be compelled to eat someone's face.
Don't smoke it.

ivapewithfire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2014
West Virginia, USA
So after letting the rubbed out flake for a couple of hours I gave it a whirl.
Let's see if, in my limited experience, I can do this tobacco justice.
Oh My F*$king GAWD!!! YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
That's pretty much what I'm reduced to in describing it. I can't break down all the flavors because I'm just not that advanced yet.
You can read plenty of reviews, but I can tell you I got lucky. This has been the absolute best tasting smoke I've had yet. Granted I've only been smoking a few months, but it's been enough to tell when I taste something special.
I've already gone back to the B&M and picked up the other two dust covered tins on the back of the shelf. One I'm going to open when I finish the current tin and the next into a box for the future.

rx2man

May 25, 2012
I have cigars going on 3 yrs and no plume on em ever.......usually what you find is white mold. I did get a 1 lb bag of Penzance that had been sitting somewhere for a long time. When I opened it I was surprised to see a nice dusting of plume all over it. Was crystaline vs fuzzy.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
thanks for asking the question!!!! i had this on a tin of balkan flake and i was unsure whether it was a good thing or not, now i will smoke (the) content. I got two tins at the time, so hopefully the other one is 'pluming' away in the cellar!

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
Great reading, sounds like Plume is something worth smoking, can't wait to try some tobacco with a nice dusting of crystalline Plumbe, you guys are making my mouth water.

Status
Not open for further replies.