PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

WNCLEE28466

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2021
Wallace, NC (near the coast)
Title edited for caps and specificity -jpm

Hello. I've just ordered White Knight pipe blend and I wanted to know what your opinion is on this one. What do you think of its strength, taste, and flavor? Your input matters. Best, LeRoy

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello. I've just ordered White Knight pipe blend and I wanted to know what your opinion is on this one. What do you think of its strength, taste, and flavor? Your input matters. Best, LeRoy
About a low to medium strength for nicotine. Blows it out of the ballpark on flavor. I'm not sure what the difference is between flavor and taste. It has a very complex flavor, with hints of incense and ever changing flavors as you smoke. I love this blend.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
About 5 years ago I spent a couple of days comparing White Knight and Germain's Balkan Sobraine with some 1980's era Balkan Sobranie with which I had been gifted.

The White Knight was much closer to the original, allowing for the effects that aging had on the 1980's sample of Balkan Sobranie, than the Germain's concoction. One thing that Russ does well is matching, Balkan Sobranie was his favorite smoke back then, and he did well here.

Germain's should have hired him on this one.

All that said, 5 years ago, White Knight was about as close as anyone was going to get to actual Balkan Sobranie Original Smoking Mixture. Since then a lot has changed in the tobacco manufacturing business and I haven't smoked any White Knight in years, so I don't know if component subbing has happened here, as it has in so many blends. Might still be just great.

About 5 years ago I spent a couple of days comparing White Knight and Germain's Balkan Sobraine with some 1980's era Balkan Sobranie with which I had been gifted.

The White Knight was much closer to the original, allowing for the effects that aging had on the 1980's sample of Balkan Sobranie, than the Germain's concoction. One thing that Russ does well is matching, Balkan Sobranie was his favorite smoke back then, and he did well here.

Germain's should have hired him on this one.

All that said, 5 years ago, White Knight was about as close as anyone was going to get to actual Balkan Sobranie Original Smoking Mixture. Since then a lot has changed in the tobacco manufacturing business and I haven't smoked any White Knight in years, so I don't know if component subbing has happened here, as it has in so many blends. Might still be just great.
I guess I should have mentioned that all of my tins were bought back in 2014, when Russ first released this.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I found White Knight to be closest to the Balkan Sobranie OSM (white tin) I smoked in the early 1970s.
Black House is intended to be a match for the old Balkan Sobranie 759 (Black Tin).
Magnum Opus, as I understand it, is Russ' attempt to recreate the doctored version of OSM he used to like to smoke, back in the 1970s.