PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
My first thought was a spoon rest, either way, it's really cool.

Dual purpose makes it twice as cool.

MacMarty89

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2021
Greater Eindhoven Area, Netherlands
A spoon rest is usually elongated. This doesn’t seem so. Could be a cigar rest. President Eisenhower didn’t smoke cigars though. So a souvenir like that wouldn’t make much sense either, because items like that cater to the host.

Oh well, it’s nice. But definitely not a pipe rest.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I just checked, all three of my spoon rests are round. Which of course means nothing. But, many things can serve to rest a pipe on, lap, an open book as a bookmark, the dashboard of the truck, etc. Whatever is handy and does the job for the me.

The above is great memento of a WH visit though. Worth some money to a collector is a plus for the heirs.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I wonder how people know what items are available as souvenirs. I don't think the place settings and silverware are available, but probably certain items are intended for the guests, since a White House invitation is a once-in-a-lifetime event for most people.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Makes me wonder if departing guests are scanned for metallic objects- very discreetly, of course. And I bet staff is accountable for each piece of silver.
I got cuff links. I love to hop a flight on AF1 and secure a deck of cards.
Jogged my memory: Airlines used to offer playing cards all the time! Haven't even thought of asking in the last 20 or so years. Problably, "No we don't have any at all."

Reactions: scloyd

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Churchill was at a dinner party at a grand old estate and the hostess noticed one of the less-known guests was slipping silver table settings into his jacket inside pocket. To keep from raising a ruckus, Churchill himself slid a fat silver serving spoon in his own jacket pocket and sidled up to the offender. Discretely opening his jacket and showing the spoon, Churchill said in a hushed voice: "They're onto us, old boy. We'd better put it back." And the perpetrator did.

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
Churchill was at a dinner party at a grand old estate and the hostess noticed one of the less-known guests was slipping silver table settings into his jacket inside pocket. To keep from raising a ruckus, Churchill himself slid a fat silver serving spoon in his own jacket pocket and sidled up to the offender. Discretely opening his jacket and showing the spoon, Churchill said in a hushed voice: "They're onto us, old boy. We'd better put it back." And the perpetrator did.
Churchill. Ever the rogue. Ever the gentleman.