PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
I'm a man of simple pleasures, women,a nice deserving drink after a hard days graft, & a good smoke. I thought I had everything sussed! Then along came the Internet & a whole new wealth of information came before my eyes. Thanks to forums like this one I have gained knowledge from others. The world of whiskey, is as complex as the world of pipe tobaccos we have at the click of a button. To me the only thing that can better a good smoke on my pipe, is having a wee dram alongside. Single malts, blends, the choice is endless & like pipe tobaccos, expensive. So I thought I'd give a shout out to (ralfy.com). He's a very amiable little scotch man living on the Isle of man, who in his spare time does whiskey reviews on you tube. His reviews are so spot on that before buying a new whiskey I'll check his site out, so highly I regard his advice. If you look up 'whiskey review 302' he does a spot on whiskey & pipesmoking. Well worth a visit. Slaint'e to you all.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
It doesn't have to be expensive. My go to whisky is Alberta Premium, which is the same price as bottom shelf whisky, but won best Canadian Whisky several years in a row from Jim Murray, a 95 rating out of 100.

michaelmirza

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
I love good whiskey and scotch alone, but don't like to have them with my smokes. The strength of the liquids usually numbs my tongue enough to wipe out any possibility of tasting the faint flavors of pipe tobacco clouds. They're separate pleasures for me (though I really like whiskey-flavored aromatics).

music4cash

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2016
Michael Mirza I agree that straight whiskey (I prefer bourbon), overpowers tobacco, but a little bit of club soda tames it enough to make a great pairing. My current evening ritual is a bowl of Frog Morton Cellar, and a tumbler of Blanton's single barrel, with a splash of club soda.

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
I've found that whisky and tobacco pairings are certainly a delicate affair, but the right combination can be pure gold. For example, to me, my favorite peaty scotches tend to overpower cigars, but compliment English blends perfectly, despite the fact that cigars seem to be "stronger" in flavor than all but the heaviest of pipe blends. More neutral bourbons seem to work well for both, but especially stogies. Brandy doesn't gel at all with my pipes, but may be my favorite companion to a cigar. I think everything depends quite a bit on personal taste, and the interaction of specific flavors and textures on one's own palate, so that some combinations work very well for some and don't do anything for others.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I find whisky such as bourbon, Canadian whisky, Irish whisky, pretty much anything on the sweeter side goes really well with Virginia.

choch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 10, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Some like chocolate, while others like strawberry. I find that straight scotches are a bit overwhelming with my English and even Balkan blends. However, adding a small splash of soda to those scotches rounds them out somewhat and makes for a great match with my pipes (which is why I prefer blended scotches with a pipe, as adding soda to a single malt is sacrilege) . Cognac and Armagnac, to my palette, work wonderfully with the aforementioned tobaccos. Canadian whiskies work fairly well (albeit they lack flavor overall), and bourbon, to me, is somewhat neutral. YMMV, as always.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Alcohol strips the protective coating from oral mucosa, leaving it more susceptible to the deleterious effects of tobacco smoke, so I don't pair them. Also as I prefer the unadulterated taste of my tobacco, I drink only water while smoking.

johnnyiii

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2013
hertford nc
Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake and any whisky or bourbon is a really nice combination for me. Also like a sweet black cav with c&d burley ribbon cut 50/50.

brudnod

Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
I am a Virginia (resident) smoker for years. I also have a bourbon taste, most often Dickel Tennessee Sour Mash Whisky, 12 year old. The combination is sublime...

matches

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2015
Dunedin, NZ
I'm a fan of Islay malts and Latakia blends. But together might be a bit much. I'm working my way through a bottle of Uigeadail at the moment with great pleasure.

bcharles123

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
I will definitely be giving this a try. I have a few whiskeys that need attention.
Generally I like something sweet with a cigar (a Coke or maybe port) and something neutral with a pipe ( tea or club soda). But it can't hurt to mix things up!

Status
Not open for further replies.