While I Was Away, Klondike Gold Disappeared.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

futureman

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2011
Ohio (Displaced Central Texan)
This saddens me. I settled on it as my top (straight) Virginia before I became ill and stopped smoking for a time. It struck the right amount of sweetness and hay for my taste. Any thoughts about its best approximation? I'm thinking Capstan (Blue), Dunhill Flake, F&T Virginia Cut Plug, or maybe SG's Best Brown.
Thoughts or suggestions? No reds, please!

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Klondike is what I would call a "Continental" style of virginia. I don't think the Brits come close (being more of an earthy sort of sweetness and often much fuller) and neither is anything from an American blender really too similar.
Cut Plug is not a bad try, I'd recommend you check out Dan Tobacco's "Mellow Mallard" and "Hamborger Veermaster". Neither is exactly like Klondike, but for that basic sort of friendly easy-going mostly-virginia these both hit a close mark. Capstan is great but both yellow and blue have obvious toppings/sweetening that Klondike doesn't.
Dunhill Flake is similar too - no casing, but it smokes in a lighter way to my taste than Klondike does (I almost suspect a touch of Burley in the Klondike).

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Yup, it’s a crying shame too! People say that aged Dunhill Flake tastes exactly like it but I disagree. McClellands Brindle Flake fills the void that Klondike Gold left behind for me. Not the same but closer than anything else I’ve tried.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Here is a list of flakes that I find to be similar if people are looking for a replacement. I am surprised they stopped making this one. Is Brigham out of the pipe tobacco business entirely?
One thing all of these flakes have in common is the style of cut ( really nice flat and perfectly shaped flakes).
Fribourg & Treyer Cut Virginia Plug

Dunhill Flake

Wessex Brown Virginia Flake

Capstan Blue Flake

John Aylesbury Luxury Flake( this one is most similar to my tastes and I like this one even better than the Gold )
Peck was the one who turned me on to this flake but he didn't do it until he had over 100 tins. He got a big head start knowing I would love it and cellar it deep. After all of the flakes I turned him on to he had the unmitigated gall to hold out on me. He is lucky I didn't fly to Canada and burn his house down. :lol:

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I've never had the pleasure of trying the Klondike, but if you want to avoid the reds I've really enjoyed the Butera Golden Cake.

If you like McClelland style flakes it's a unique flavor from them.

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
Welcome back Harris! Those lists you post are most helpful. I've learned much about flakes and cellaring from your posts! Cheers for that.

Is Brigham out of the pipe tobacco business entirely?

Brigham still sells some tobacco under the Mr.B's label, in Canada at least. They are all pouch aro's if I recall correctly. I'm not familiar with them other than seeing them on the B&M shelf.
As far as tinned, I think Brigham is no longer in the game but I'm not entirely sure. They released a limited edition blend to celebrate 110 years in 2016, which was blended by C&D. I haven't seen any other tinned Brigham blends in stock in a while, but I don't check every where.

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
I checked at smokingpipes and they have 3 Brigham blends in stock. I'll be darned.
And back to regularly scheduled programming.

P

pipebuddy

I'm sure there are others, as already suggested, that are similar as Klondike was probably made by STG. :wink:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Stick, you are welcome, glad I could help.
Other flakes that I would recommend that are still a flake but not the same cut style as KG are the following.
Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake(in my top 3 of all time favorites) I have cellared this one deeper than any other flake in my cellar).
Astleys no. 109 and 44. The 109 is the most user friendly flake in my entire cellar. By user friendly I mean that you cannot get it to bite no matter how badly you smoke it,( this was huge for me when I first started smoking flakes as I would hot box the shit out of my pipe early on). This stuff refuses to burn hot. The flavor is similar to the Wessex just not as full bodied. The 44 is a great tasting darker flake.
One flake that used to be great but is no longer is Hamborger Veermaster by Dan Tobacco. It had been out of production for a number of years and when it came back, it was not the same. I find it to be less flavorful as I used to enjoy it fresh. Now I am waiting at least 7 years before I try it again. I am hoping age will fix it.
One flake that made a comeback and did it in a good way is Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky. That also went out of production for a while and when it came back it was just as good as it used to be. Don't let the name scare you, it is not too strong. It has some great molasses notes and it burns like a champ right out of the tin.

Status
Not open for further replies.