Which Savinelli Shapes Sit By Themselves?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
I've wasted a stupid amount of money without ever buying an expensive pipe, because I didn't know what I wanted, or didn't know the right questions to ask.
I recently bought a Rossi Bent Dublin (#8611) from their "Sitter" line, and absolutely fell in love.
Rossi is a less expensive Savinelli, but everyone I've been able to communicate with says that all Savinellis have a nice, open draw so, instead of continuing to buy pipes I HOPE to like, I'm just going to stick with Savinelli (and Rossi) unless I can actually see the pipe in person.
Also, I've decided I like a pipe I can sit down between puffs, when I need both hands to type, etc. I have one pipe rest, and just ordered three more, but I'm bad to wander around while smoking and sit a pipe anywhere I happen to be, so I want pipes made to stand on their own.
All of the Rossi "Sitter" line stand up, and all the Savinelli "Standing Pipe" line stand up, but I wonder if there are more...
My Rossi is supposedly identical to a Savinelli 611. The Rossi is a Sitter, but the Savinelli 611 is not part of their Standing line. The descriptions of pipes never mention whether they'll stand up, but some of my other pipes do, even though they were not specifically advertised to do so.
Damn, this is a rambling email, but I've re-typed it three times, and I'm not willing to start over.
The question is: Is there any way to tell if a Savinelli pipe can stand up on it's own?
Thanks in advance!

bonehed

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 27, 2014
At the moment I have a Capri 111KS and an old King's Cross 802 that sit. Had a 604 Oom Paul that sat too, but sold her...Also had some unfinished models but couldn't tell you the shape numbers...sold/gifted too.

Not sure there's a way to tell without seeing the bottom - many do have a flat area that you might not think is there though unless you looked and tried it.
Call smokingpipes.com/Laudisi? They would probably be glad to chat about it...

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
Thanks bonehed and seacaptain.
And, yeah, smokingpipes is a great resource. I'm just hoping to start a list, so I'll know more before I start shopping next time. I'd hate to really fall in love with a pipe, then call and find out it doesn't.
So, anyone else? Please post info on any Savinelli pipes you own that will stand up on their own!
Thanks!

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
Oh, Thanks, Skraps! (I abbreviated your name!)
I've been looking at the Bing's favorite. I do like a longish pipe for "just sitting around" smokes. That might be my next purchase.

lohengrin

Lifer
Jun 16, 2015
This pictures are of a pipe that is a Savinelli and surely stands up on its own!

Unfortunately I collected the pictures from the web sometimes ago and I can't tell you more about this pipe.
EpTtxd2l.jpg
ZkFwi61l.jpg

carytobacco

Can't Leave
Nov 23, 2012
Cary, NC
It's the Savinelli 88 line. Comes in 3 different finishes.
This is a great thread. I know virtually every Savinelli shape and I can't think off the top of my heads which ones will sit and which don't. Im going to look into this more.
320 and 315 seem like they should sit
I could be wrong but I don't think the bings favorite sits well
The 611 definitely won't.
A 207 might.
I'll look at some this week and see what I come up with.

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
I could be wrong but I don't think the bings favorite sits well
I would not describe them as a "sitter" and would agree that it varies from pipe to pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.