PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 9, 2018
England
Charatan Flake which is their version of Dunhill/Peterson Flake is very nice and also Royal Escape which is a Royal Yacht match.
EA Carey's Dark Flake No.7 is also amazing and is supposed to be the same or similar to John Sinclair's Highland Sliced.

Reactions: marconi and Bowie

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like Chestnut in the Home and Hearth Midtown series from P&C, which is a match to the long discontinued Walnut, an old over the counter blend. Chestnut has about seven tobaccos remarkably well merged and is now available in a baggie for about seven bucks as well as the usual tub. There has been some consensus that the various blends in this series do not taste of preservatives and the tobaccos seem to be of better quality that the brands they match.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I like Chestnut in the Home and Hearth Midtown series from P&C, which is a match to the long discontinued Walnut, an old over the counter blend. Chestnut has about seven tobaccos remarkably well merged and is now available in a baggie for about seven bucks as well as the usual tub. There has been some consensus that the various blends in this series do not taste of preservatives and the tobaccos seem to be of better quality that the brands they match.

I agree with your last sentence.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
There has been some consensus that the various blends in this series do not taste of preservatives and the tobaccos seem to be of better quality that the brands they match.
It's been my experience at least! Mixture 79 I don't taste preservatives either.. but the Sutliff "aros" I've tried... yeesh!

Reactions: Bowie

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I tried Model and thought it was good. Having never had the original, I could only judge it on its own merits.

It's a close match, but better. Here's my review of the Match:

The burley is very nutty with some chocolate, molasses, wood and earth. It also has a light rugged edge. The Virginia has a few earth notes to go along with a little grass and tart citrus as a supporting player. The strength and nic-hit are almost in the center of mild to medium, while the taste is a step past that mark. The same was true of the original. Burns clean and fairly smooth at a reasonable pace with a very consistent taste, and leaves little dampness in the bowl. Requires few relights. The Match avoids the harshness of the rougher original, and unlike the original, which could bite when pushed much, the Match doesn’t grab at your tongue. The flavor is a little deeper in the Match, though it is the same in both. If you puff fast, you may encounter a cigarette note here and there, but less so than the original. The tobacco in the Match is fairly dry as was the original, so it needs to be puffed as a reasonable rate, unless you hydrate it. Has a lightly lingering, pleasant after taste and room note. It is an all day smoke. I rated the original at two stars. This isn't quite three stars, but it's close enough to rate it as such.

Reactions: Elric

Jack Tar

Lurker
Jun 26, 2020
I'm looking for a match to Planta's Presbyterian Mixture. The new Mac Baren's version is dramatically different to my taste buds; orientals are completely absent and I get a strong graham cracker sweetness. P&C's match is a good smoke, but the orientals are much more understated. Any recommendations from this forum?

• Sad
Reactions: rushx9
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Both of the Sutliff Balkan Sobranie matches are good. I also like their Chatham Manor (Carter Hall match) on occasion. Goes good with coffee as an easygoing early morning smoke.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
I'm looking for a match to Planta's Presbyterian Mixture. The new Mac Baren's version is dramatically different to my taste buds; orientals are completely absent and I get a strong graham cracker sweetness. P&C's match is a good smoke, but the orientals are much more understated. Any recommendations from this forum?
I was kinda worried that might happen... Presbyterian was my first favorite, but I haven't bought any in over a year because I've been trying every other "oriental forward light English" I could get my hands on.
I had the same issue with the Match. Tastes more like EMP and doesn't have the floral sour qualities of Pres.
Try C&D Star of the East Gold. GH #25 Mixture (Exmoor Hunt) is very similar in flavor, but has a bit of added burley, if you aren't opposed to that. Many recommend EMP, but I don't taste much similarity between the 2. Both Squadron Leader and Skiff Mixture are worth trying if you enjoy the genre, but not really all that similar. The Match BSOSM is a bit closer than the Pres Match, but much more latakia and noticeably more "Balkan" in nature.

Reactions: Jack Tar

homesteader

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2019
I'm intrigued by the thought of trying recreations of discontinued tobaccos. For me it's kind of a way to connect to the past, to time travel the way one does in looking at old magazine ads.

I've tried several of the Match blends. Most are alright, but not something I'll reorder. However, I really like the Match Revelation and have added it to my rotation of tobaccos. I've got two jars of it going: one as it comes, and the other in which I've added 10% Perique.

I haven't made my way through all the Match blends yet. Maybe someday. It's fun to try them.

aguineapig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2014
I like the Elizabethan match, as well as the country doctor match which isn't mentioned much. Pretty tasty. The Edgeworth RR match is good as well.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like the Home and Hearth Midtown match to Walnut, Chestnut, and the Sutliff match to Field and Stream, among others.

Reactions: Pipelady20

Jack Tar

Lurker
Jun 26, 2020
Thanks rushx9; most helpful suggestions!

“... the floral sour qualities of Pres.” Yes! Exactly what I missing.

“Try C&D Star of the East Gold. GH #25 Mixture (Exmoor Hunt) is very similar in flavor, but has a bit of added burley, if you aren't opposed to that.” Will do. I have seen GH # 25 recommended elsewhere, but I thought “Why get attached to another blend it isn’t readily available?”

“Both Squadron Leader and Skiff Mixture are worth trying if you enjoy the genre, but not really all that similar.” I do enjoy Squadron Leader but haven’t been able to find Skiff Mixture anywhere online. Both appear generally (and routinely) unavailable. I’ll keep looking.

I just ordered some McConnell’s Original Oriental and Wessex Traditional (red) to try. No one had suggested the Star of the East Gold before. I’ll give it a shot.

Your palate sounds close to mine; I’ll give you a shout after I’ve had a chance to sample these new ones. Thanks again for the assist!

Status
Not open for further replies.