PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

whsergent

Can't Leave
Jan 8, 2020
I am working my way through some of them with an eye to getting an idea why the originals were popular for so long. Here are the ones i have tried so far:

Field and Stream: I like it, seems a little bland but on the whole its satisfying, theres an occasional whiff of pine or maybe mint that i find a little odd, not sure i will order it again.

Ready Rubbed: A little one dimensional, but on the whole its a good dimension :) Like the way it burns, reminds me of carter hall. Might order it again.

Blue Boar: Used to be a latakia fiend and now find it off putting, BB has a little too much latakia for me, cant see me ordering this one again.

Bourbon Street: Really like this one, has a nice floral sort of topping and despite a little harshness everynow and then it has a natural tobacco sweetness that reminds me of pegasus, will definitely order this one again.

Just my personal take, which ones have you all tried and what are your thoughts?

Last edited:
Reactions: danimalia

crawdad

Lifer
Jul 19, 2019
Virginia
Have you tried the match Walnut? It's an 'American' blend and has a bit of everything in its components. The Latakia is a minor player and it's got enough sweetness for my sweet tooth.

That and match ERR have earned their spot in my rotation. I have Revelation and Field & Stream but I find that I don't reach out for them as much anymore.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I actually really like Field and Stream... I can't put my finger on the flavor but it certainly is an "outdoorsy" tobacco.

Reactions: Bowie

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
Match 965 (Match 20) = better than the STG
Match London Mixture (Big Ben) = good but, not as good as the STG (not currently available)
Match Elizabethan (Match Victorian) = better than the STG
Match Night Cap (Match Late Evening) = similar flavor but, I prefer the STG cut
Match EMP (Match Sunrise) = both are fine but, neither knocks my socks off
Match BSOM = probably closer to the original than the Germain, both are good.
Match ERR = good. It has been so long since I have had the original that I can’t compare.

That’s my 2 cents.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
I've been so impressed by the RR and the Walnut that I want to try more of the Match stuff. Holiday Mixture is up next because it sounds like the cut is similar to RR, and I love that cut. Not as excited by the Elizabethan, but it probably just needs a little time in the jar.

Reactions: BROBS

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I've wondered how the old match Barking Dog was. That was one of my favorites back in the 1970s...
Product Image

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I've wondered how the old match Barking Dog was. That was one of my favorites back in the 1970s...
Product Image
The Match is very, very close to the 1980s version of Barking Dog, which was much better than what followed from The House of Windsor. It's close to the 1960s production which I got to try a small sample of a while back.

Btw, Shelby Foote's last blend was 2/3 EGR and 1/3 Match Barking Dog.

Oct 7, 2016
I like all that I have tried. Match Victorian (Murray’s era Elizabethan was the one they were after) is a home run and is, with Louisiana Red, a top notch, stand on its own merits, reasonably priced, bulk VaPer. And available.

Reactions: BROBS and trubka2

crawdad

Lifer
Jul 19, 2019
Virginia
While I’ve never had the original, I just smoked my first bowl of match Sugar Barrel and found it a little underwhelming. I’d probably give this blend a pass but maybe, just maybe it’ll shine a couple of more bowls later.

Magpiety

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2019
Kansas City
Also wanted to throw in Match Flying Dutchman. It's not a spectacular tobacco by any means, but I always load it up when i'm driving to town. I don't know why lol.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Also wanted to throw in Match Flying Dutchman. It's not a spectacular tobacco by any means, but I always load it up when i'm driving to town. I don't know why lol.
Probably because it's easy to smoke with a mild, pleasant flavor. And it doesn't bite the hell out of you like the original does.

Reactions: BROBS and Magpiety
Status
Not open for further replies.