PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I recently discovered a jar from 2019 that I’d only labeled as “Stokkebye Luxury Flake.” Any idea whether it’s Twist Flake or Navy Flake? I detect neither rum nor perique, to which I’m very sensitive. After only one bowl so far, it just seems fairly one dimensional.

Attachments

• 98F9ABD9-130C-4728-8602-C16737A3F4FD.jpeg
    98F9ABD9-130C-4728-8602-C16737A3F4FD.jpeg
    170.5 KB · Views: 36

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
It has a coconut casing, which some hate, some love. I think it is a rather strong casing by itself, so I always stack a LTF and a LNF and twist them together. The two seem to compliment each other well, and make a smoke that I just love.
Interesting… Again, I’m just one bowl in, but I’m not getting anything that hints of coconut. (I’ll have to go back to my notes from 2019 when I first tried this, but I feel fairly confident that I didn’t notice any coconut then either.)

Reactions: gervais
Interesting… Again, I’m just one bowl in, but I’m not getting anything that hints of coconut. (I’ll have to go back to my notes from 2019 when I first tried this, but I feel fairly confident that I didn’t notice any coconut then either.)
It's a toasted coconut casing. It resides somewhat in the background, but when smoked it has a slight caramel aroma. Coconut doesn't have a strong smell, despite what the suntan lotion tried to make us think with their artificial coconut scents.

Reactions: gervais

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
After reviewing the comments on Tobacco Reviews I’m wondering: a) What’s happened to this blend after three years+ in a jar, or b) What’s happened to my palate? Because I’m just getting a fairly bland Virginia.

Is there a Stokkebye flake that looks like this but doesn’t have a topping of any kind?

Is there a Stokkebye flake that looks like this but doesn’t have a topping of any kind?
No, but it is a casing. Most people cannot taste the casing, but almost all Virginias have a casing. Some can taste more deeply into e blend than others. FVF has that juicy fruit flavor, some have an apple cider casing... but you hardly hear of these in reviews because most can't taste them. To me, all Sutliff blends have a "new car" scent added to them that bothers me, and irritates my allergies.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Well, after two bowls I’m done. There’s just nothing here that makes me want more.

I have 175g I’m happy to gift to anyone who’s interested. Just PM me your details. Otherwise, it’ll just get tossed.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
That LTF is aged longer than what I've tried. It's a much more golden color at first, IIRC. Seeing it that dark is surprising to me.

The casing struck me like a really artificial butterscotch, but then when guys told me it was coconut, I could see how it was that. It's cloyingly sweet.

Would be curious to try it with age. I'll have to dig mine out in a couple years.