Which In Production Blends Have A Vinegary BBQ Tin Note?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

brooklynpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2018
Echoing Sir Cosmic, Marlin Flake by Rattray's has a tinge of that (though I found the tin note went away as I left the tin open for a few days.
Old Dark Fired does a similar thing--I believe they have a little bit of vinegar to emulate the flavor of the old preservative, but I'm sure like everything it's loaded with other more flavorless chemicals that are doing the real work.

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
Sutliff 515 RC-1 stings my nostrils due to the vinegar scent and I love it.
GLP JackKnife Plug and Triple play both have a medium tangy BBQ scent with a slight vinegar on the background, the former being more vinegary as it omits perique in favor of more VA/Dark fired.
Macbaren HH ODF is about half and half. Flake form it is more pronounced and ready rubbed it is softer and creamy. HH Bold Kentucky has a super deep BBQ smell but not tangy/zesty like ODF is. Vinegar rarely pops up for me in BK.
I also find that SPC Plum Pudding has a very spicy BBQ scent to it and just a touch of vinegar.

cranseiron

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
I never smelled it in a new tin of Briar Fox. I went through just a couple of tins before I gave up on that particular blend, but I don't remember any vinegar smell. As an aside, I just opened up some aged SG Kedal Plug-- very distinct vinegar smell.

Status
Not open for further replies.