Which Country Consistently makes the Best Pipes?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
Initial caps for important words only in title! Edited. Date removed as it's superfluous. See rule 9.

I was looking over my pipes the other day and noticing all the different countries they represent. My Italians pipes are very good. Some of my Molinas are IMHO the best pipes for the money. I have a Royal Danish that I have never had a bad smoke from. There was French and of course American, because what is a pipe collection without a Dr. Grabow or a Missouri Meerschaum? The world is represented in pipes and expense does not necessarily mean quality. So I wondered what would my friends in the Pipe Forum say was the country that consistently produces the best pipes?

Last edited by a moderator:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
No overall winner. The dependable pipe making nations to me include England, Italy, France, Ireland, the U.S., Denmark, and Japan, and good pipes come from other countries including Greece, Canada, Poland, and Russia, but not in as great a quantity. Who'd I forget?

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
What is best?

If it’s purely the best smoke, then Denmark wins hands down.

The sight of a Danish pick axe freehand is an acquired taste, as is smoking Latikia rich blends.

Provided the Danish maker gets good briar, he takes a large chunk of that briar and hand fashions a smoking machine.

If the best is pride of ownership of a portable smoking instrument in a conventional shape then Dunhill of England, followed by Peterson’s of Ireland, are best. Such shiny baubles, are they. Each one perfect, as can be made.

But for value, it’s my own native State of Missouri.

The finest, the best, the biggest Missouri Meerschaum freehand is less than fifty bucks and ten dollars buys a good pipe.

That’ll show em’.:)

2FDA2BAD-55B0-47D6-A88F-0EC8B94DACDB.png

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
What is best?

The sight of a Danish pick axe freehand is an acquired taste, as is smoking Latikia rich blends.

Provided the Danish maker gets good briar, he takes a large chunk of that briar and hand fashions a smoking machine.

If the best is pride of ownership of a portable smoking instrument in a conventional shape then Dunhill of England, followed by Peterson’s of Ireland, are best. Such shiny baubles, are they. Each one perfect, as can be made.

The finest, the best, the biggest Missouri Meerschaum freehand is less than fifty bucks and ten dollars buys a good pipe.

View attachment 100551
That Royal Danish pipe that I have is a real treasure. I don't remember how I stumbled on to it, but I'm sure glad I did. My next pipe purchase is going to be a Missouri Meerschaum Shire cobbitt.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
What is best?

View attachment 100551
A Danish pickaxe would be near the top of my list of pipe shapes.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Best design and symmetry goes to the Danes. Best smoking to the islands. Best overall body of work by Artisans is the USA IMHO. Best up and coming Artisan's would be Eastern Europe. My apologies to the Asian sector as they clearly have a number of great carvers as well. I feel like picking Spain for something because I obviously love Jose Rubio's.

If you take a snapshot in time right now, we're very fortunate to have so many incredibly great choices of pipes in a wide price range Arguably the best time in history.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
When I first arrived here it seemed Algerian briar and France were considered good choices. I was able to pick up a Chevalier Armand lovat that I enjoy.

I have two of those MM Freehand pipes. While large, they are fun to use.

Scottishgaucho

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2020
Buenos Aires Province.
No point in me giving an opinion as all bar one of my pipes are English. I personally tend to be attracted more to English estate pipes than 'foreign' ones. For no other reason than being more familiar with the pipe makers brand names.

Reactions: WVOldFart

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
Good options around the world and a lot of this is personal preference. Good high end pipes in Denmark and USA. Good mid-priced (and higher) in England and Italy. My final jeopardy answer would be Italy but really just what I like most (lots of handmade choices without annoying bowl coating)

Reactions: trouttimes