PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Andriko

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2021
London
Hi all,

I had a sample pack of some AVO cigars I bought a while ago. I am not really into cigars in general, but was smoking one the other day and found it very enjoyable as an alternative to a cigarette, and instead of a pipe (which wouldn't have been too convenient at the time).

Obviously I'd like to get a few more, but don't know where to start, all I know is I'd prefer shorter smokes (about 30mins max) and not too expensive. This is more for a summer alternative to outdoor smoking.

Thanks!

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
A Robusto size will take about thirty minutes to smoke. Not knowing which AVO you smoked, it will be difficult to recommend a profile.

Nub cigars are also small and a relatively quick smoke.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
For me, a 30 minute max is fairly daunting... Most cigars just seem to require more of a time commitment than That said, here are a couple suggestions that will be close enough to 30 minutes that you won't feel like you're being too wasteful

Arturo Fuente Exquisitos (Maduro and "Natural"/Cameroon), and Hemingway Short Story
Illusione Fume D'Amor Lagunas
L'Atelier Travailleurs
Tatuaje Black Label Petit Corona BC (if a little spice doesn't bother you)

If you have access to Habanos, the Cubans make a lot of nice, smaller cigars like Ramon Allones Small Club Coronas, Montecristo No. 5, El Rey del Mundo Demitasse, etc...

Reactions: dcon

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
I'm a very very slow smoker, so don't take my word for it as I can take an hour for a petit and sometimes even half corona and might even take 1.5 hours on a robusto. I also think like @danimalia the Habanos brands have some sizes that are perfect short smokes like the HUHC, RASCC. Cigars like Nubs, flying pigs or any shortish robusto or gordo format are also great, but those can take a bit longer than you think.

That being said, if you want a shorter smoke I would opt for a smaller pipe.

Reactions: danimalia
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I enjoy Padron 3000 Maduros quite a bit.

Hoyo de Monterrey Amistad Gold is a fave. I prefer the larger sizes, but, it's available as a Robusto.

Ashton VSG is very tasty, but, a bit expensive, so, not a daily smoke. I prefer the Sorcerer Churchill, but, it's also available as a Robusto.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Most cigars will last me at least an hour and a half for robustos, Coronas, lonsdales, etc. For 30-45 minutes, my favorites are El Rey del Mundo Demi Tasse, or a Cuban minuto or perla such as the Partagas Short, Montecristo no 5, or Ramon Allones Small Club Corona. You can also cut a Por Larrañaga Monte Carlos in half for two outstanding little cigars.

Being as supply and demand is wonky with Havanas right now, in the non-Cuban world, look for short or skinny or, preferably, both. Skinny cigars need to be smoked slower than fatter cigars, but I like the concentration of flavors more. You're better served figuring out which types of blends and countries of origin you like better, then focusing on who offers what. Small cigars can be harder to find as the trend has moved steadily towards heftier ring gauges.