PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Hello everyone. Up until now I have done all my polishing and buffing by hand but my lovely new wife has surprised me with a new motorized buffer for my workbench for one month of wedded bliss. I've never heard of this practice, but if she wants to buy me gift or just get me into my workshop and out of her hair that's fine by me. However I am at a bit of a loss. The buffer will hold a wheel on either side and I plan to use one for wax and the other for rouge, but I am uncertain which wheels to use. There was an assortment provided in the box with numbers on them that undoubtedly represent their firmness; I just need to know which wheels to use... What is best for briar? Stem materials? Any help would be appreciated.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
teufelhund:
I've used Porter-Cable cotton polishing wheels (purchased at Lowe's) for years, and can recommend them. In order to purchase the proper ones you will need to know the diameter of the arbor on your buffer, and the size of wheel (for example, mine utilizes six-inch diameter) for which it is designed.
What is the RPM rating for your buffer? The reason that I ask is that most are typically rated at 4,000 or higher, and this (in my opinion) is too fast. I say this for two reasons. At these speeds it becomes too easy to remove material from pipe stems because of the friction and resultant heat generated. Secondly, unless you keep a VERY firm hold on your workpiece (stem or pipe-bowl) your buffer can snatch it out of your hands, turning it into a dangerous projectile. I recommend connecting your buffer to a Variac so that you can control its speed. I find that buffing with red rouge, and subsequent waxing, are best accomplished at slower speeds. You will have to experiment to find those which work best for you.
Be patient, use gentle pressure (letting the wheel do the work), and work at as slow a speed as is possible, and I believe that you will be pleased with the results.
I hope that this information is helpful to you.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
Also keep in mind that "brown tripoli" is a 240 grit paste and "white diamond" is around 800 grit. These are cutting grade abrasives and WILL remove material with usage.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Your RPM speed is important in choosing wheels. I use 6" wheels with my 1725 rpm motor. Jestco is a good place for wheels and arbor extensions.
For rouges (White diamond, Tripoli), I like a sewn 60 ply wheel.

http://www.jestcoproducts.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=27
For carnuba wax, I like a loose 60 ply wheel.

http://www.jestcoproducts.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=33
Invest a few bucks into a good rake. I used to use a piece of hacksaw blade, but that doesn't work nearly as well as a purpose built rake.
I've been using the same wheels for almost four years and the same bar of carnuba wax and rouges. Materials go a long way with pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.