PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Following from the "Anyone Dislike Billiards" thread - name your 3 most disliked shapes.

There has been previous threads on this theme, but not recently. I appreciate that "one man's meat, etc". This is not intended to belittle anyone's tastes or aesthetics.

This selection is based solely on looks and nothing to do with smokeability or performance/engineering

1. Hungarian/Oom Paul
2. Hawkbill
3. Countryman (as per Charatan)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some shapes don't usually catch my eye, like blowfish, but I've seen examples that I thought were handsome. Same situation with hawksbill and eskimo. Sometimes when the pipe is visually pleasing, the chamber is too small, or the pipe is too heavy for the size chamber. Cavalier seems a bit theatrical, though again I've seen them I like.

Reactions: OzPiper

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I savor a good freehand, but when the Danish freehand craze was big, slapdash freehands were turned out like donuts and they haunt antique stores and eBay to this day. You can tell they were turned out in factories and have the minimal shaping and craftsmanship possible. That's probably the worst shape in my book. I think my big freehand with plateau on the brim and shank is pretty wonderful, a sort of pickax shape.